How to find the Command for a give toolbar button?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chrisjj
User

How to find the Command for a give toolbar button?

Post by chrisjj »

How to find the Command for a given toolbar button such as Comment Options? Or any other workaround for its docked lack of a keyboard shortcut?

Background: If I dock the Comments pane, its ALT+O keyboard shortcut (for Options) goes defunct. (Support says this is Working as Designed.)

So, to add my own shortcut I go to Preferences, Customise UI, find this function is missing there, see Help directs me to Customise Toolbars, wonder why on earth keyboard customisation is only under toolbars, and why this is inaccessible by keyboard, and why this too is missing from Preferences ... and then enter
image(1).png
Which fails to find any such command.

PS Devs, tooltip missing here:
image(1)(1).png
image(1)(1).png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 314 times
PS Devs, description missing here:
image.png
Last edited by chrisjj on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to find the Command for a give toolbar button?

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Chris,

the default Keyboard shortcut for the Comments Pane is CTRL+M, the Alt options are dependent on your layout. If you have heavily customized it then there could well be conflicts happening. Why not use CTRL+M to open/close the Comments Pane?

Regarding the Option within the pane - I see what you mean. Searching for "Options" in the customize commands dialogue results in many similar "Options" results and it is not at all clear which they actually are:
image.png
I will raise this question with the appropriate dev, hopefully I will have his ear later today.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

> Why not use CTRL+M to open/close the Comments Pane?

This Q is not about that.

> Regarding the Option within the pane - I see what you mean. Searching for "Options" in the customize commands dialogue results in many similar "Options" results and it is not at all clear which they actually are:

That's not what I mean. What I mean is what I said. This command is missing.

> I will raise this question with the appropriate dev, hopefully I will have his ear later today.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, chrisjj

To find and customize the keyboard shortcut for any command on the toolbar, open the customize UI window, then right click on the command on the toolbar, and choose properties.
image.png
Then you can customize that action exactly as you would with any command from the commands list.
image1.png
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

> To find and customize the keyboard shortcut for any command on the toolbar, open the customize UI window, then right click on the command on the toolbar

Customize UI prevents such a right-click. I assume you meant Customise Toolbars.

Suggestions: provide Customise Toolbars under (or near) Customize UI and correct this title Customise Toolbars to Customise Commands.

>, and choose properties.

Thanks. Suggestion: remedy the lack of this info at
image.png
> Then you can customize that action exactly as you would with any command from the commands list.

I did that for ALT+O:
image(1)(1).png
and it doesn't work. ALT in docked Comments fails to show O on Options... . Which I mention just for feedback, since I am out of time on this. Thanks.
Attachments
image(1).png
image.png
image.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback, we will consider it moving forwards.

Best regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623