ebook reader mode w/ pen?

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
tracked
User

ebook reader mode w/ pen?

Post by tracked »

I'm a long time user of PDF X-Change Editor at work (OCR, annotate, organize, watermark, etc) and personal (scan, organize, etc). Since i haven't found a proper ebook reader on Android (beside Moon+ Reader pro, that also has its shortcomings, cloud saving, pen interaction, etc) I wanted to try PDF X-Change on surface tablet w/ pen.

Long story short:
1) How can I add multiple `cmd.tool.annot.highlight` buttons on a toolbar and set them in different colors, to quickly pick the color for the selection with a pen? currently, when adding multiple buttons and select a color, the color of all buttons change. I would like to have something similar to to Drawboard PDF "tool" on the right hand-side.

2) How can I toggle the PDF X-Change application window between "ebook reader" mode, "normal" mode? where the "ebook reader" mode would show bare functions, e.g. no fat ribbons, fullscreen mode, touch selection disabled, pen only selection enabled (so i can set my hand on the touchscreen), etc.

3) Is there a free-highlight (not text-highlight) tool similar to Drawboard "Highlighter" tool on the right hand-side?

I would reluctantly change to Drawboard after so many years w/ PDF X-Change, however at this time, it offers a much better ebook reader annotation experience.

thank you in advance for your help.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: ebook reader mode w/ pen?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, tracked

It should be noted that our software is not intended as an "Ereader" application, but simply a PDF editing software, with some viewing/presentation functions.

1. You should be able to create custom tool style buttons by following the steps here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nge-Editor

2. F11 would open fullscreen mode, which is the closest we can offer to this. Editing tools are not available in this window, however some items, like the Highlight tool, can be activated exclusively through keyboard shortcuts, if you keep the keyboard connected. I expect that will not work for your needs in tablet mode however.

3. You can create your own freehand highlight tool by customizing the "pencil" tool, as detailed here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... tly-images

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
tracked
User

Post by tracked »

Hi Daniel,
thank you for the quick reply :-)
I'm fully aware that PDF X-Change is not an e-reader app. However it provided me constantly with the best PDF annotation capabilities over the years (even I miss the Linux version).

Your response on 1) & 3) solved my problem, a bit complicated, but with advanced software also comes the sheer possibilities :-)

It would be really great if the "pen-only annotation" (by disabling touch based selection/annotation) would make into a feature request for Windows tablets, so I can rest my hand on the tablet while taking notes.
I can even live without the fullscreen reader view.

Thank you for your support :-)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, tracked
tracked wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:13 pm It would be really great if the "pen-only annotation" (by disabling touch based selection/annotation) would make into a feature request
This already exists as a feature of windows, which our application supports. Simply enable the windows options to handle this, and you are good to go! Because of that option within windows, we do not currently intend to off our own options to enable/disable this.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com