Making PDF-Xchange Editor default for PNG files

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

cjholly@sbcglobal.net
User

Making PDF-Xchange Editor default for PNG files

Post by cjholly@sbcglobal.net »

I realize PDF-Xchange Editor cannot edit PNG files, but I don't need that. I get these files from people using cell phones to scan documents. I want them in PDF anyway. But I could not open PNG files without right clicking and going through Open With . . . . Nothing I did would make Windows 10 accept PDF-Xchange Editor as the default. Until I found a registry hack at https://winaero.com/prevent-windows-10-from-resetting-your-default-apps/.

In my case Windows Photos app was the one that hogged the PNG files. The fix was to find an entry in the Registry like (in my case) [As always, if you are going to muck with the registry you better back it up!]

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2022.30060.30007.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\App\Capabilities\FileAssociations

There, look for the png entry on the right side and find the value data which in my case was

AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc

With that navigate to

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc

Create new string (right click in right pane blank area)

Name it NoOpenWith and leave its value blank

Close registry and reboot

Then you can right click on a PNG file and take the normal steps to make the PDF-Xchange Editor the default program to open such files.

As I retraced my steps to document this, I see my key is no longer named NoOpenWith, so perhaps this will not stick. Time will tell.

Hope this saves someone besides me from a minor annoyance. --Chris
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Making PDF-Xchange Editor default for PNG files

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, cjholly

Glad to hear you found a solution to the issue, I hope that this post helps others who have the same needs!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com