Bug?: Split Pages->Add Horizontal Split

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Usually when I split a page, the split line appears in the middle of document window when I click on Add horizontal split and then I can adjust it from there. However, if I tick the two boxes at the top left (Use relative offset and Calculate split effects from top) and the Add Horizontal Split, I get this:

image.png

As you should be able to see in this example, there is no split line in the document window anywhere towards the top of the document as it showed in the document window and, further, in the split placement window on the left it says that the horizontal split is at 98.5%. That is quite true as you should be able to see in this next screenshot with the bottom of the document displayed in the window.

image.png
In other words, with these two option lines selected the split line is placed at the inverse percentage point of what is showing in the document window, but at least it owns up to that fact.

I find this is document-independent (does it on all) but if you are having trouble reproducing this, let me know and I'll send you this full PDF file. Vertical adds seem fine. Win11, v.361.

Thanking you in advance for considering this issue.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Bug?: Split Pages->Add Horizontal Split

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK
PHK wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:10 pm if I tick the two boxes at the top left (Use relative offset and Calculate split effects from top
this right here is the cause of what you are seeing. "calculate split effects from top" means that instead of is being 98.5% of the page from the "origin" (typically the bottom corner) it is 98.5% of the page away from the top.

I am unsure what it is you are trying to report here, but this seems to be working as intended...

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:17 pm ...
"calculate split effects from top" means that instead of is being 98.5% of the page from the "origin" (typically the bottom corner) it is 98.5% of the page away from the top.
Yeah, I get that. I agree it is 98.5% of the page away from the top.

My problem, that I obvously did not adequately explain, is that I thought I was selecting a point on the y-axis that was 1.5% away from the top because that was what was showing in the document window. What I tried to describe as the inverse 98.5/1.5. When I made the selection of the screenshot, the document window was displaying the top 10% or so of the document which would include the 1.5%, my target split. Is that not obvious in the screenshot?

At the very least, the document display window and the window to the left should agree.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

I still do not understand what it is you mean. I have no clue what you are trying to convey with the first screenshot, as it looks exactly as expected, there should not be any line there (at the 1.5% mark) because you have "calculate split from top" enabled, and you have your split set to 98.5%. If you wish to have the split set up there, either uncheck the calculate split from top checkbox, or change the horizontal split value to be 1.5%.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

This is an annotated version of my first screenshot, what I see when I try to make a horizontal split line selection.
image.png
This is what is going on at the bottom of the docuument page but I cannot see that until and unless I scroll down looking for it.
image(1).png
In all the split-line selection options, the UI shows the provisional split line in the middle of the document window like the red dotted line in the upper screenshot. That is the way it should be every time the user makes a selection but it is not in the scenario I am describing. I call that a "bug."
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Here is a screenshot showing Split Pages working the way I would expect it to work, i. e., correctly.
image.png
Spot the difference?
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Perhaps another way of stating the problem is as follows.

The User Manual says: "•Click Add Horizontal Split and/or Add Vertical Split at the top of the preview pane to add splits to documents. Splits are inserted at 50% by default and will appear in the preview pane and the list of splits when these options are used, as detailed above. Click and drag to reposition splits as desired."

That is not true if "Calculate splits offsets from top" option box is ticked ON but is true if OFF.

This grid shows what really happens.
image.png
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

Thank you very much for clarifying here. The table was the final piece that helped this click. My impression, based on your earlier descriptions was that you thought the reported percentage was incorrect, hence my confusion. I see now that you were trying to convey that the initial placement position is incorrect while calculate splits offsets from top is enabled.

I will forward this to our Dev team so that they can look at it, hopefully a resolution will be available in the near future, but I do expect we are too close to the next release for it to be included in build 362.0.

RT#6162: Bug: Split pages horizontal split "calculate from..."

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Many thanks, Daniel!
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com