Vector Graphics Quality in Lite printer driver

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Yosh Mantinband
User

Vector Graphics Quality in Lite printer driver

Post by Yosh Mantinband »

I have a document with both vector and bitmap graphics.

When I print using Microsoft's PDF export, the vector graphics remain vectors and look great. Unforutnately, the bitmaps get down-sampled and look awful (even when I select the option to optimize for graphics).

When I use PDF-Xchange Lite to print to PDF, I can select 1200 or 2400dpi and the bitmaps look great. Unfortunately, though, the vector graphics get rasterized into terrible-looking (unacceptable) bitmapped resolution.

How can I get both the vectors to stay vectors (like Microsoft's driver does), while also getting high DPI for the bitmaps (like Lite)? Or to at least get the vector graphics rasterized at the same high resolution and quality?

Thanks,
Yosh
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Vector Graphics Quality in Lite printer driver

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Yosh,

Please try this printing mode and see if it works better for your graphics:

image.png

Regards.
Yosh Mantinband
User

@Dimitar - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did not help in making the Word vector graphics look good. They are still rasterized rather than retaining the vector format and come out looking pixelated.

OTOH, I have found that if I open a Word file inside PDF-Xchange Editor, it converts the .DOCX to .PDF and does retain the vector format. Unfortunately, though, it down-samples the bitmap graphics and they look poor (similar to what happens if I use the Microsoft PDF export).

Here is some additional information.

When I create the PDF by opening it in PDFX-Editor, this is from the Doc properties:
image.png
and here is an example of a vector image that stayed vector (all enlarged to show the issue more clearly):
image(1).png
and a bitmap drawing that was down-sampled:
image(1)(1).png

OTOH, when I print to PDF from Word using the Lite driver, here are the corresponding results:
image(1)(1)(1).png
Vector drawing rasterized - didn't stay vector.
image(1)(1)(1)(1).png
Bitmap drawing at 2400dpi - looks good
image(1)(1)(1)(1)(1).png
image(1)(1)(1)(1)(1).png (29.76 KiB) Viewed 344 times

So if I have a way to tell the converter from Word to PDF to use 2400 dpi or to tell the Lite driver to maintain vectors as vectors & not to rasterize - then I would get the high-quality print-ready PDFs that I need.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
yosh
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Yosh Mantinband

When converting from word using our Office addin, you can disable compression of graphics from the settings here:
image.png
that may help with the bitmap image issue.

If at all possible, please send us a copy of a document which has this issue during conversions, so that we can test with your file and see if we can find the correct options to get a good result for you.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Yosh Mantinband
User

thanks, @Daniel.

Where do I find the Word add-in? I have bought two licenses over the years: Editor and Editor Plus (OCR).

Is the add-in part of those? If not, is there a solution within the scope of what I have already bought? If not, how much does it cost to acquire the add-in? If I do, how can I be sure it will solve the problem?

In any case, note that compression does not seem to be the problem. the bitmap looks good when specifying high DPI.

As I wrote before, using the two different ways to create a PDF (printing to Lite or opening DOCX inside Editor) each gives different results favoring one or the other. If you can tell me how to open within Editor (Office-to-PDF converter) and specify high DPI for the bitmaps, that would solve the problem, since it preserves the vector drawings as vectors.

Thanks,
Yosh
Attachments
image(1)(1).png
image(1).png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Yosh Mantinband

Neither of those license keys would cover use of the Office addin, which is part of our "Standard printer". You can download or purchase the standard printer here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... e-standard

I would highly recommend that you download and test the printer before you make a purchase, to ensure that it does work for your needs. If you need access to both the Editor plus, and the standard printer, you can upgrade your license to our "PRO" bundle at any time on your account page: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/login

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com