Right-click menu when a comment is shown overlapping the content

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

As far as I understand, the "Select Comments Tool" and the "Edit Content Tool" are exclusive. That is, when the "Select Comments Tool" is enabled, only comments can be manipulated without awareness of the existence of content, and conversely, when the "Edit Content Tool" is enabled, only content can be manipulated without awareness of the existence of comments.

If my understanding of the above is correct and there are no exceptions, then you should find it strange that when a comment is shown overlapping the content, if you try to display the right-click menu with the Edit Content Tool enabled, the right-click menu for the comment appears.

screencapture.png

Attached is a video of the validation for a PDF file with a rectangular comment added to overlap the image content. To validate, simply left click on the rectangular comment with the content editing tool enabled, then right click. Note that even though the left click selects the image content, the right click selects the rectangular comment and brings up the right-click menu for the comment.

If you temporarily hide the comment, you can show right-click menu for Edit Content Tool. There are many other ways to get around this by taking advantage of PDF-XChange Editor's rich features, such as utilizing the right-click menu on the content pane.

It is quite possible that there are exceptions to the right-click menu operations in order to achieve a user interface that I have not even considered, but I am reporting this because it just doesn't feel right. If this is the intended behavior, please disregard this post.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version:9.3 build 361.0
- OS Version: Windows 10 Home/Pro 21H2 Build 19044.1766
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL / HP ProDesk 600G1
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Right-click menu when a comment is shown overlapping the content

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

You are mostly correct with your suspicious, however it is not that these tools are entirely exclusive, mosore that the selected content is mutually exclusive. You can select multiple comments, or multiple base content items, but not both in the same selection, as such, there are some exceptions, like what you show here.

With that said, you make a very good point that it is bizarre handling, and should probably be standardized. It would make sense if your right click on a comment where the is no base content present at all, but if there is base content in that location, it should be prioritized when the edit tool is enabled.

I have created a formal bug report on this issue, which the Dev team will review in due time.
RT#6157: Bug: Right click can override tool mode.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Re: Right-click menu when a comment is shown overlapping the content

Post by rakunavi »

Thank you, Daniel, for creating the ticket!
I'm looking forward to future updates.

Best regards
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com