Adding a custom dictionary

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

XChangeGirl
User

Post by XChangeGirl »

I would like to add the custom dictionary I use in Word to pdfxce. I see it wants a .oxt file. I'm unfamiliar with that extension and a search for it doesn't reveal much of use

The Word dictionary is just a text file. I've made a copy of it with a .txt extension and have tried to covert that to an .oxt file, but have yet to find a converter that actually does it.

I'm assuming it is possible to do this, but how?

Thank you!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Adding a custom dictionary

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, XChangeGirl

OXT is a complex data format with numerous supporting files far beyond a simple text file. Unfortunately there is no way to easily convert one to the other, nor can I walk you through creating a custom dictionary. You would need to either download one of the existing dictionaries with our "add/update languages" function in the spellcheck dialog:
image.png
Or, you would need to look through the open-office website for their repository of OXT files. Unfortunately that appears to have moved since we changed our system to host copies of our supported languages on our own server (the list you see with add/update languages), and I do not have a link to that anymore.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
XChangeGirl
User

Re: Adding a custom dictionary

Post by XChangeGirl »

Thanks for the reply, Daniel.

OXT sounds like something I'll be happy to stay away from! My only interest was in getting my custom word list in pdfxce, and that seemed like a way to it.

What I ended up doing was dragging the custom dictionary into pdfxce, running a spell check on it, and adding each word it stopped at. :) Most of them were superfluous to my present needs. But it was an interesting list to see scroll by while tapping the Add button a few hundred times. Took about two, maybe three minutes.

Thanks again.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)