Tab groups [Suggestion]

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Tab groups [Suggestion]

Post by MedBooster »

I suggest adding an optional option to sort your PDF tabs into groups just like you can do it the newer versions of the chrome browsers:
So a way to hide certain groups, that expand again once you choose it or use a keyboard shortcut to get to one of the hidden tabs.
image.png
image1.png
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Tab groups [Suggestion]

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi Medbooster,

Thank you for your post, the Editor does support document groups through Sessions:

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... b=sessions

Though not how your suggestion details the graphical view of it.

We will create a feature request ticket for our developers to consider the idea.

The ticket # will be posted here for you when ready.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hey MedBooster,

the guys have approved this feature request. As usual, internal only but for your reference: RT#6069: Feature Request :: Editor :: tab groups

enjoy
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Yes I use sessions, this is more of a suggestion for not having to deal with sessions, though it may probably eat up more RAM (although you could maybe save those documents that are hidden in "tab-folders" in a "dormant" state. Point being, sometimes I have 15+ documents in a row, and some I would want to hide to be able to access the ones I need more more easily, but only temporarily, so I wouldn't want to constantly switch between sessions. It's more for being able to move around one "category" of documents as you are focusing on different categories. If you've used Chrome you're probably getting what I mean.
Wishlist
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

My workaround is to use dedicated Editor windows for groups of files, which then have their own tabs. This came about, because I also needed per window search results instead of having one result for all open tabs. The third-party software Groupy then helps to better organize those open Editor windows into one merged group(y) that (optionally) only shows a single taskbar button.

Sessions can be used to save/load the whole group of open windows on top of their respective tabs. So when I load a session it opens three Editor windows each with their own group of tabs.

Looks like this:

Groupy tabs can optionally be set to use a fixed size to use less space.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

This is great stuff guys.

I do expect the devs to consider all this as they make the feature. It will be interesting to see what eventuates.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

+1 for MedBooster suggestion
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Tab groups [Suggestion]

:)

Got it!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

@TimurBorn

Yes! I too am a long-time Groupy-user (along with some other Stardocks programs like Tiles, CursorFX, Curtains/WindowBlinds, Soundpackager...

However, the issue with using Groupy is that if you use the search tool and you have two PDF xce windows on top of each other, the search tool is not able to switch to the correct window.

So an inbuilt feature inside the app itself would probably be a lot better.

Also:

Like I've mentioned previously, please add an option to search only documents in one window, because as of now you only have two options:
-- search a term in all tabs (in all windows)
-- search in only one tab (document)

––––– So please add; "search for a term in all tabs (in one specific window)"
Wishlist
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

HI Medbooster,

we certainly hear you! From what I understand
––––– So please add; "search for a term in all tabs (in one specific window)"

is not trivial, but if it is practical I'm sure that will do it.

I have added a note to that ticket, and asked if this should be it's own Feature Request.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

MedBooster wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:09 amHowever, the issue with using Groupy is that if you use the search tool and you have two PDF xce windows on top of each other, the search tool is not able to switch to the correct window.
Which is why I am using extra windows + Groupy to begin with. I want to be able to get search results for specific (groups of) documents only. So I put these (groups of) documents in their own window to have their search results separate from search results in other windows.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

I made specific reference on the ticket to the comments about search results not going across frames as described here:
However, the issue with using Groupy is that if you use the search tool and you have two PDF xce windows on top of each other, the search tool is not able to switch to the correct window.
So the team will be aware of this as they work on the item. It remains to see what is done. :-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Hello again, Timur. Well, how are you able to do that if you can only either search for all tabs in all windows, or one tab in one window? That would be my aim as well. As of now you're just not able to do that, or are you?
Timur Born wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:08 pm I want to be able to get search results for specific (groups of) documents only. So I put these (groups of) documents in their own window to have their search results separate from search results in other windows.
––– How would putting it in another Groupy tab separate the results? They would still appear wouldn't they? Or do you mean you're just hiding the document toggles for the other documents?

(actually both would be nice, for the Groupy tab to be able to switch when getting results in another window as well, as they said they would check out that issue)
Wishlist
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Search results are per window when you search in the current tab/active document. So I search in one tab/active document of one window and get the results for that tab/document. When I switch tabs in the same window then unfortunately Editor keeps displaying the results for the old tab.

Because of this I open thematically fitting documents in their own window where I don't mind getting only one search result list for the whole window. When I search in the active document of one window then displays its own search results for its own active document, while the other windows keep their own search results intact.

Furthermore each window can have its own search options (like "whole words") independent from the other windows.

Here is an example:

It is still a nuisance! :?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

If I understand the issue correctly, being able to define a search to be constrained to a Tab Group would resolve the issue. Right?

If we are adding Tab Groups anyway, it would seem reasonable to me to be able to limit searches to these tab groups and that this would give you what you want.

Am I reading this right?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Most preferable solution would be (optional) per tab search results, just like we get per tab bookmarks, thumbnails and everything.

Per group search results would at least help others get more search comfort, personally I would might stay with the Groupy solution, depending on the implementation of tab groups.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Timur.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Hello Timur
I'm a bit confused as to what you want to change.
I think I may be mixing the terms "document/tab/window" with each other

As of now you have the options
  • In active document
    In all open documents
What I think is missing is simply an
"in all open documents in the active (selected) window"
→ and if implementing tab folders in the PDF xce app itself the filter could probably be called something like
"in all open documents in the tab folder"

What search filter would you want to add?
image.png
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, MedBooster

From my understanding, you two are asking for the opposite feature. He is using the editor with Groupy to separate the windows, which has the effect of causing our search to only affect one instance of the application? I am unsure if the installed version of the software allows this, but the portable version certainly could separate the additional windows into completely separate instances, perhaps that is how he is achieving this currently?

In any case, the end goal is, as you said, to add another option to this dialog which allows search within a tab group, when we finally offer that as an option (without affecting the other options current handling. I cannot promise that it will be possible, but we will certainly consider it.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

That's what doesn't make sense to me, because when I've used Groupy and I have two windows when I search it searches through all documents (tabs) in both windows, but as I've said there's been an issue with it not switching tabs if the two Groupy tabs are over each other. Maybe I should send an OBS recording through E-mail. As far as I know Groupy does NOT separate the windows, they are still one "instance" like you may call it.

I recommend you guys to also try Groupy, I'm sure you'll find it useful
https://www.stardock.com/products/groupy/
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, MedBooster

I confirmed both of your handling situations as correct though?

If you are using the installed application, you should see what you are reporting, with all open instances being considered the same in the search pane, even across separate windows. In this case, it is expected to search througha ll open documents, even those in a different application window, because all instances of the installed Editor are connected.

To my knowledge, What Timur sees, the ability separate the search's in groupy, is a byproduct of using the "portable" version, which can have entirely separate instances running. This allows him to have multiple "instances" of the software open at once, which are all independent, thus taking advantage of Groupy's functionality to hold them all in one place.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I am using the installed version and searching "in active document" gives separate results per window for me. This is wanted behavior for me, because I open multiple different books where I only want search result per book. Personally I would prefer to see search results change per tab when "in active document" is used, even for duplicate tabs, just like the thumbnail pane changes per tab.

Ideally I could use one window per tab/document as a workaround, but that makes organizing screen estate more difficult and opening multiple windows per Editor session takes longer to startup. So I group certain documents together in single windows as a middle of the road compromise.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

OK - so we all agree that currently searches go across Windows, the current Feature Request is for an option to limit the search to specific Tab Groups when they arrive.

To me this would seem a good solution as one could search across all Windows OR target the search to a Tab Group.

At this point I am seeing some cross over in functionality with Sessions, as I wanted to say maybe we should allow limiting a search to the files in a particular session, but I think Tab Groups here is a much better approach, allowing more easily focused groups of documents.

If I am following this correctly, the only issue/discussion then relates to this:
but as I've said there's been an issue with it not switching tabs if the two Groupy tabs are over each other. Maybe I should send an OBS recording through E-mail
I am not grasping fully what this is, so a video would be great. You can upload it to our file service if it's too large for email: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/321-How-do-I-upload-a-file-to-the-Tracker-Software-File-service

Regarding this:
As far as I know Groupy does NOT separate the windows, they are still one "instance" like you may call it.
I would expect this, thanks for the confirmation. I personally would like to agree on the terminology here because it is pertinent to clear discussion. As I understand it the Editor does not support multiple "Instances" only multiple "Frames/Windows". As an example of how this differs from applications that do allow multiple instances, I use a remote connection tool called mRemoteNG. I have three "instances" of it running, and each instance has multiple tabs/sessions open. Each instance is a process and each tab is a sub-process, killing a process will kill all it's sub-processes also. This is killing the "instance". With mRemoteNG, or Notepad as you see it, each instance is shown as it's own process with a process tree that can be killed while leaving the other processes for it running.

You cannot do that in the PDF-XChange Editor because it is always a single process tree. When you break a tab out into it's own Window/Frame it remains a sub-process of the parent, a new process is not started. In fact it should not be possible with the installed version to ever have more than one PDF-XChange Editor process show in the Task manager. You can see the difference in behaviour by opening the Editor, then holding Shift and clicking it's icon in the Task bar. It will switch to the running Editor Process/instance, not start a new instance as will NotePad or mRemoteNG etc. This is why Daniel says the Windows are all connected, the PDF-XChange Editor is always a single process/instance with sub-processes for the "Frames/Windows"
Instances and Frames.gif
For my pedantic mind, I'd like to agree on using the term "Frame" or "Windows" when referring to what has been called instances. There is only ever one instance of the PDF-XChange Editor. There are multiple Frames/Windows within that instance. For us Kill one will kill all - because we are really only one...

;-)

So terminology discussion aside, we do search across all windows because they are all one instance, and the feature request is to be able to target a Tab Group, now I want to know more about:
there's been an issue with it not switching tabs if the two Groupy tabs are over each other.
I'm keen to see a video.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:13 pm OK - so we all agree that currently searches go across Windows, the current Feature Request is for an option to limit the search to specific Tab Groups when they arrive.
No, my searches "in active document" do *not* go across windows (installed Editor version) and this is exactly what I need to make my multi-window/Groupy workaround work. This was demonstrated in an earlier post of mine:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?p=161483#p161483

Instead search *results* go over all tabs of a single window and clicking one of the result will always return to the tab of the one active document that the search results were meant for.
To me this would seem a good solution as one could search across all Windows OR target the search to a Tab Group.
As long as it is possible to have single documents/tabs in a tab group that could also work for what I would personally prefer (one search result per each tab).
As far as I know Groupy does NOT separate the windows, they are still one "instance" like you may call it.
Not here. Groupy literally has nothing to do with it. All it does it turn separate windows into tabs and optionally multiple Windows taskbar entries into a single one.

On my computer each Editor window even keeps its own document pane settings separate from other Editor windows, despite the synchronization option being enabled. Saving sessions also saves all document pane settings for all windows and restores them separately. All Editor windows run as a single PDFXedit.exe process, though.
You cannot do that in the PDF-XChange Editor because it is always a single process tree. When you break a tab out into it's own Window/Frame it remains a sub-process of the parent, a new process is not started. In fact it should not be possible with the installed version to ever have more than one PDF-XChange Editor process show in the Task manager.
I can confirm this, but my Editor windows still behave independently, which is what enabled my search results workaround to begin with.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Got it.

The Tab Groups is a long term thing anyway, so after speaking to the devs about this, they agreed to a compromise that we can deliver much sooner, hopefully in the next build, to add an option to the search to search "The current Window" - or whatever phrase we eventually choose.

The ticket is RT#6164: Feature request :: Editor :: Option to restrict searches to the active Window (frame). and we will do our best to get it in the next build as this shouldn't be that difficult to implement. As always - no promises, we have to see how things pan out.

Lets see what comes in 9.3.362.0

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

The compromise should be useful for people wanting to search "In All Open Documents" while still being restricted to only search documents of a single window.

Personally I hardly ever search all open documents, because I need results from specific documents (hence why I want separate results), but it may become useful for documents that form a thematic group inside a single window.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

That's kind of the intention here, use Windows/frames as one might Tab Groups to collect documents into one "container" that can bet targeted for search.

So yes, it's a compromise, and it does require making the choice to use Windows (frames) as the way to organize your work.

I myself am quite looking forward to Tab Groups, but I am told it is not as simple as it might seems. It is still a good way away I am afraid.

Thus the compromise. I hope it works for other as well as you!

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Hint to other multi-windows users:

Use CTRL-Q to quit Editor. It will then close all windows at once and restore all windows and tabs at startup (if you are using the "Restore last session when application starts" option).

If you are using the upper right X to close single windows it takes more clicks and only the last closed window is restored at Editor's next start.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Tab groups [Suggestion]

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

@Tumur Born

Doesn't that shortcut do the exact same thing as Alt+F4 ?
image.png
Wishlist
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Yes it does!

Alt+q is ours, CTRL+F4 is a system shortcut.

:D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

alright I sent an E-mail with a screen recording of the Groupy search result issue explained, with the title "Groupy with PDF-xchange editor"

to: "Paul D. O'Rorke" <support@pdf-xchange.com>

Hope it helps
Wishlist
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Medbooster,

I added the video to the ticket. I am not sure how this is going to work out in the end, but the guys have the info, we'll have to see what they do with it.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

In case anyone's curious on what issue I described

it is that when you click a search result when having searched through "all open documents" and that document is in another window that is another Groupy-"Tab" it switches for a second, but then returns to the window you were in. The search results sadly don't appear in the other window even though you search through "all open documents" either, so you have to do a search again, which is unfortunate because that may take a lot of time for larger collections of documents.
Wishlist
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Sorry guys,

I should probably have posted that when we emailed.

Thanks for doing this Medbooster.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

MedBooster wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:09 pm Doesn't that shortcut do the exact same thing as Alt+F4 ?
Not for me. ALT-F4 only closes the single active window, leaving all others open. ALT-Q closes *all* windows and restores them on next start (if enabled).
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

MedBooster wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:13 pmit is that when you click a search result when having searched through "all open documents" and that document is in another window that is another Groupy-"Tab" it switches for a second, but then returns to the window you were in. The search results sadly don't appear in the other window even though you search through "all open documents" either, so you have to do a search again, which is unfortunate because that may take a lot of time for larger collections of documents.
I disabled Groupy and the exact same thing also happens with normal windows. So it is not a Groupy related problem, but a multi-window related one.
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Timur Born wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 pm
MedBooster wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:09 pm Doesn't that shortcut do the exact same thing as Alt+F4 ?
Not for me. ALT-F4 only closes the single active window, leaving all others open. ALT-Q closes *all* windows and restores them on next start (if enabled).
Yes that is a good point!
If you have two windows and use the program shortcut to close all, it actually closes all windows and all tabs,
while the system shortcut just closes the active window (although it is still one "instance" if you check task manager)

But that's good, both are useful.
Wishlist
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Good catch!
I disabled Groupy and the exact same thing also happens with normal windows. So it is not a Groupy related problem, but a multi-window related one.
It is nice to be able to take that one piece out of the equation. I never tested Groupy so this is appreciated.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:25 pm
Good catch!
It is nice to be able to take that one piece out of the equation. I never tested Groupy so this is appreciated.
Oh, well that's good in the sense that you probably don't need to test with Groupy to fix it.
– I tested it myself without using Groupy, and you're absolutely right Timur! You're not directed properly to the search results if you use more than one window! It just flickers the window, but switches back within a second, I have no idea why it would just switch to the right window for a second though. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

So make sure you guys fix that as well as perhaps adding a "search through all open documents in the active window" option, like you said you would consider :)
Wishlist
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I can think of some use cases for searching all tabs of an active window = tab group. So +1 from me for that.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Tab groups [Suggestion]

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Timur Born wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:13 am Search results are per window when you search in the current tab/active document. So I search in one tab/active document of one window and get the results for that tab/document. When I switch tabs in the same window then unfortunately Editor keeps displaying the results for the old tab.

Because of this I open thematically fitting documents in their own window where I don't mind getting only one search result list for the whole window. When I search in the active document of one window then displays its own search results for its own active document, while the other windows keep their own search results intact.

Furthermore each window can have its own search options (like "whole words") independent from the other windows.

Here is an example:

This seems to still be an issue.
If you have two different windows on top of each other (not side-by-side) and you use the advanced search tool to search all windows, and you choose a result that is in the window underneath the active window, it is not able to switch automatically! It flickers for a second so it seems like it is trying to though.
Wishlist
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Medbooster,

I see the same and will ask the devs to take a look.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:11 am Hi Medbooster,

I see the same and will ask the devs to take a look.
I had hoped this would get fixed quickly, as it seems to just be a matter of changing what the active window is... but still, when choosing a result in another window, PDF xchange does not switch to it if it is under (behind) the active window.
Wishlist
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi MedBooster,

I'm afraid there has still not been any feedback from the developers about this. We will let you know if there are any new developments.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I am still using the third party software "Groupy" to group tabs by windows. Any news on native support for tab groups?
image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Timur Born

Nothing new at this time I am afraid.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Timur Born wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:29 am I am still using the third party software "Groupy" to group tabs by windows. Any news on native support for tab groups?

image.png
I am also using Groupy, but I would still stay that the advantage with having a tab system inside PDF-XCE itself is that you would be able to use program-specific (custom) shortcut to toggle it etc... outside of the Groupy tabs

I imagine it might be a bit difficult for the developers to allow sessions to restore not only the document order, but also tab groups – maybe that's why we've not yet seen a positive response.
Wishlist
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

MedBooster wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:54 pm
Timur Born wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:13 am Search results are per window when you search in the current tab/active document. So I search in one tab/active document of one window and get the results for that tab/document. When I switch tabs in the same window then unfortunately Editor keeps displaying the results for the old tab.

Here is an example:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/9pb5fDQ.png[/img]

This seems to still be an issue.
If you have two different windows on top of each other (not side-by-side) and you use the advanced search tool to search all windows, and you choose a result that is in the window underneath the active window, it is not able to switch automatically! It flickers for a second so it seems like it is trying to though.

This seems to have been fixed though, so that's good. I have a related post here about arrow navigation through search results in different windows:
viewtopic.php?t=40190&hilit=arrow
Wishlist