Adobe Acrobat DC Can Print File, PDF-XChange Cannot - Hangs at 20% across various printers.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

itskando
User

Adobe Acrobat DC Can Print File, PDF-XChange Cannot - Hangs at 20% across various printers.

Post by itskando »

File attached.
FF_Map_22x36_2022-SM.pdf
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC Can Print File, PDF-XChange Cannot - Hangs at 20% across various printers.

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, itskando

From my test here, the printing process did take some time to complete the print job, but it did not stay stuck for more than 1 minute. This is within the expected print time for a complex document at a large paper size when sending to a physical or virtual printer. Can I ask you to confirm, if you leave the editor alone for a minute or two, does the print job complete as expected? I reckon it will.

Also, are you currently running the latest relase of our software (build 361.0)? If not, please update and try printing again.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC Can Print File, PDF-XChange Cannot - Hangs at 20% across various printers.

Post by Timur Born »

The print size is nearly the same for both Editor and Acrobat. But Editor is completely overwhelmed already in the print preview part while Acrobat can handle the same document quite easily.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Once Editor created print previews (full size and fit to margin) and printed the document for the first time everything is just as fast as in Acrobat. This even seems to remain true when I close/reopen Editor afterwards. Strange stuff. Will test restarting the PC next and report back.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,
But Editor is completely overwhelmed already in the print preview part while Acrobat can handle the same document quite easily.
Is this with the OP's document or a different one? If it's a different one may we see it please?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

OPs document.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I cannot reproduce this anymore, even after specifically making sure that Windows quick boot and Editor's disk cache features are disabled.

What I noticed, though, is that printing the file "as image" in Editor is tremendously faster for both preview and printing and the print size is less than half. Doing the same in Acrobat Reader leads to a larger print file instead (as rather expected).

My tests were trying to print to a much smaller DIN A4 sized paper, both with and without fit to margin. I tried A2 (different printer) now and the results seem to be the same, including the "as image" print being less than half the size (226 mb vs. 86 mb).

So no idea why my first and second try to print preview this file were so tremendously slow (with at least one CPU thread being maxed, but additional load being active), but now everything is at least as fast as Acrobat. The file resides on a fast M.2 SSD, so that's not the bottleneck.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that Timur,

I'm not sure what will come of this to be honest.

It's really hard to troubleshoot things we cannot reliably reproduce.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com