Alternate margins when importing images?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kakerboom
User

Alternate margins when importing images?

Post by kakerboom »

I'm trying the "File -> New Document"-> "From Image files" to create a new PDF from a bunch of JPGs.
At some point I want to print these files on a duplex (both sides) printer, and hole punch them for a binder.

So I want (say) a 50 point margin on the left side of "odd" pages, and a 50 point margin on the right side of "even" pages, to allow room for the holes to be punched and not lose any of the image.
Is there some way to do this (that I'm not seeing) during import/file creation?
Or some way to do it after the PDF is created?
Or is there an easy way to do this when printing?

(I've figured I can always import half the files into 2 new PDFs, with appropriate margins , then (electronically), splice them together so everything prints the way I want, but that will be a bit of a PITA)

Ken
PHK
User

Re: Alternate margins when importing images?

Post by PHK »

Hi, Ken, and welcome to the Forum.

I can think of one approach that should work.

You can create a new PDF document by "printing" pages by selecting the virtual printer from the drop-down list of printers.
image.png
When doing that, you can specify the layout type to "Booklet" and specify the Gutter Size to accommodate your punch holes. The grey areas between the pages content is the gutter.
image(1)(1).png
Not difficult. Good luck!
Attachments
image.png
image(1).png
image.png
image(1).png
image.png
Last edited by PHK on Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

P. S. I almost always print to a PDF proof file before a final paper print, hence my advice above but it is not a necessary step.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PHK,

Many thanks for the detailed post! I hope this would be useful to Ken.

Printing might not 'hurt' the file and the quality too much depending on the source and if the end result needs to be printed to paper - but it's best avoided when possible.

So an alternative would be to use the "Resize Pages" inside the Editor, and resize only the odd and then only the even pages of the file - with the corresponding settings (no scaling of content - and positioning the original content e.g. at the top right for the even pages:
image.png
On the above screenshot I am setting up to resize an A4 page to add 20mm to the left for the even pages.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:19 am ...
Printing might not 'hurt' the file and the quality too much depending on the source and if the end result needs to be printed to paper - but it's best avoided when possible.

So an alternative would be to use the "Resize Pages" inside the Editor, and resize only the odd and then only the even pages of the file - with the corresponding settings (no scaling of content - and positioning the original content e.g. at the top right for the even pages:
Yes, Stefan, that's an alternative if a little more complicated, depending OP's needs. It is a question of simplicity vs. file originality preservation.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PHK,

Certainly - both options have their use cases, and we do appreciate the time and effort you've put into your reply.
Still - we are usually quite reluctant to recommend having to print a PDF file back to PDF if there is another solution.

In any case - I hope Ken tries both methods, and uses the one most convenient for them.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Of course, Stefan, in an ideal world OP would not have to choose. Perhaps DevTeam could develop a new feature that would combine the simplicity of defining gutter options of the Print protocol with the document integrity completeness of your multi-step process.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:42 pm ... we are usually quite reluctant to recommend having to print a PDF file back to PDF if there is another solution...
I got the impression that OP's objective was a physical print and therefore not worried about all document features. I only recommend printing to PDF before printing to paper as way of creating a no-risk proof before burning a lot of paper and toner.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PHK,

Yep - that will definitely be as you said a risk free proof so certainly useful in the OP's case.

Kind regards,
Stefan
kakerboom
User

Post by kakerboom »

I'm thinking the "print to PDF" would suit my needs for a "permanent" fix (if I need to reprint later) or do the same print to the printer if I don't.

It would be a nice enhancement to either
- specify the gutter odd/even during the "import images" stage
- be able to specify "gutter" in the document after import

to eliminate the "print to PDF" step, if I wanted a "permanent" fix (where I don't have to remember to set gutter every time I print)

Thanks for your help, IMO you have satisfied my needs (subject to testing :-)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello kakerboom,

Glad to hear we have helped!
We would be happy if you want to share some feedback once you've tried both options as well!

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

PHK wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:07 pm P. S. I almost always print to a PDF proof file before a final paper print, hence my advice above but it is not a necessary step.
Actually, printing to PDF is a necessary step in this particular case. You only get to the gutter options if you print to PDF and then open the Properties options; if you try to print directly to an external physical printer your Properties options are much more limited.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Instead of adding a gutter at print time, why not resize with a horizontal offset? That seems to me to provide a simple "fix" that you can just print and bind in any fashion.

I tried this with a 507 page book, the pages of which are already 6 inches by 9 inches using this setting for all the odd pages:
image.png
then run it again using the offset from the right for even pages.

Because the final page size does not differ and you specify to keep the page scaling according to page size my tests worked out nicely adding a half inch "pseudo gutter" for want of a better term. It went from this:
PDFXEdit_Wan43eCcpA.png
to this:
PDFXEdit_HEYR6jAtvj.png
and should be a quick and easy way to achieve the desired results.

Does that help?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:41 pm Instead of adding a gutter at print time, why not resize with a horizontal offset? That seems to me to provide a simple "fix" that you can just print and bind in any fashion....
Does that help?
That ain't bad, Paul, but I notice that it might be objectionable because whatever you gain in the gutter, you lose in the outboard margins; you have just shifted your content out away from the gutter. That might be alright for some users.

Of course, one can preserve the outboard margins by increasing the page size by the amount of the added one-page gutter but that introduces another step and may entail other unwanted consequences.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

It is certainly an option, at the very least. I hope that it does help some users, even if it is not the solution for everyone.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
kakerboom
User

Post by kakerboom »

After having tested these, it turns out the "booklet" approach is NOT what I want (unless I missed something), as it prints 2 original pages onto one 8.5 x 11 page (I wanted one original page to be one printed page, just "skoshed down and over")

The offsets idea might work, but it is a lot of work when I have to do several hundred PDFs...

Looks like I'll either import half at a time into separate PDFs with different offsets at import time, then merge them together, or just import once with everything moved right and print one sided [and think of Elmer Fudd singing "Kill de twees, kill de twees..." instead of a certain wabbit]

One sided printing might be better anyhow, less risk of bleed-thru as I mark up pages.

Ken
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello kakerboom,

If Booklet printing doesn't work for you - why don't you try to do the resize as per my suggestion (while you still work on the PDF itself and before any printing starts) - you can then resize only the odd or only the even pages - so you will need to do just two operations and will have the file the way you need it?

Kind regards,
Stefan