A Different Kind of Bold - Beyond Edit Content?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

shade-cabin-hammock
User

A Different Kind of Bold - Beyond Edit Content?

Post by shade-cabin-hammock »

Hi,

Sometimes I'd like to be able to just bold a word.

I know I can do this via Edit Content
2022-05-24_18-27-08-157.png
2022-05-24_18-27-08-157.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 535 times
It works OK, but has it's drawbacks. Specifically, bolding text makes it SLIGHTLY bigger, and if you're using the Edit Content described above, it tends to throw all the other text off kilter, especially line height.

I was wondering if there's any sort of overlay / almost-highlight I could use to create the same bold effect? Such that I could select the word and just click?

My goal here is to avoid the drawback mentioned - so that the bold is applied on top of the text, and thus doesn't get tangled up in the line height / kerning / spacing of the surrounding text.

Possible?

THANKS! :D

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: A Different Kind of Bold - Beyond Edit Content?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, shade-cabin-hammock

I'm afraid not, short of removing the word from the original text, replacing it with white space, and then using the typewriter to add a bold comment in the same location (which i dont think is a good option for you), there is no way to bold text without impacting the size of the objects to some degree.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
shade-cabin-hammock
User

Hi Daniel,

Ah! Thank you kindly for your answer! :D

Yep, yep. I follow. Is there any way to save a bold style? I know I can set a set of text parameters to become the Current Default Style, but is there anyway to set ASIDE a Style for applying regularly?

Here's my thinking: if I use the same font, but just lower the size a bit, in bold, it fits right in.

For example, Arial 9 bold looks right in Arial 12 regular. Looks just as it should AND...does not throw off any of the lines.

Is there any way of putting aside a style in that way using PDF-X? Such that, I could create it, and add some keyboard short cut to it so it always be there when I needed it.

Right now, the only way I've ben able to do this is:

1. Select Edit Text
2. Select text I want to bold
3. Select Format Panel in ribbon
4. Select text size drop down
5. Scroll to correct text size
6. Select that size
7. Select bold

Any way I could reduce this to:

1. Select Edit Text
2. Select text
3. hit ctrl-alt-9

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

At the moment no, but we have seen one or two requests in the past for a sort of "palette" of quick access font configurations. I Cannot make any promises they will be implemented, but I will try to locate any ticket that exists in that vein and add your support to them. Hopefully we can see something like this in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Would changing the color of the text work? You can use the "Highlight" comment style to change text color if you change the blend mode to Overlay. See below.

I created 2 custom highlights and assigned shortcut keys to them that allow me to change black text to blue or red pretty easily. You can "flatten" these comments if you need them to be more permanent. Otherwise they can inadvertently be deleted.

Overlay.png
shade-cabin-hammock
User

Hi Daniel & Arnold,

Daniel! AH! Glad to hear I'm not alone here. :P :) ALSO! Please would look at Arnold's SUPER-INVENTIVE approach - is there any saturation variable or opacity setting or other obscure setting you can think of that I could get to beef up the "ink" around those letters to reach a kind of faux or end run bold?

Arnold! WOW! Good on ya, mate! Mac-Guyver-esque! THANK YOU for posting that! :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

So far as I am aware, there is no saturation setting available to text content, so for the time being the only way to perform that style of emphasis would be, as Arnold suggested, using the Highlighter tool (or other commenting tools with "blend mode" options).

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com