Side scrolling via shortcut?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

elektroschrott
User

Post by elektroschrott »

Is there any way to scroll sideways (right - left) in the view with shortcuts? Because of the many customization options (menu, shortcuts), this editor is great for people with limited vision. Only this function is probably missing. For example, it would be great to scroll sideways (horizontally and vertically) via CTRL + arrow.
BTW: The switch to 'Pages side by side' unfortunately does not help here 🤷‍♂️
Last edited by elektroschrott on Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Side scrolling via shortcut?

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi elektroschrott

take a look at this KB for how to set a Keyboard Shortcut to a command: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nd-actions

There is no default keyboard shortcut for this, you will need to add one.

Search for "Ribbon Command", select it and hit "Properties":
image.png

Click in the "Keys" fiens then the desired keys:
image1.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
elektroschrott
User

Post by elektroschrott »

Thank You, but unfortunately, this is not the function I am looking for. We mean the function that lets you scroll in all directions with Shift plus the arrow key in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I think that is not possible with PDF-XChange Editor. But indispensable at high magnifications.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hmmm,.

what you are describing, if I understand you correctly, should already be the default behaviour.

Your comment about the zoom level being particularly pertinent. When zoomed out the default behaviour is to pan down and up with the down and up arrow keys, left and right arrow keys change to next or previous page. When you zoom in the behaviour should automatically change to panning left/right and up/down with the arrows:

Pan when zoomed.gif
I assume you are seeing something different?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
elektroschrott
User

Post by elektroschrott »

I mean scrolling in high zoom levels. For example, if I view this document in 200% magnification, I want to scroll the following views:
00.png
in 200%:
01.png
expected:
02.png
03.png
This is apparently not possible with any hotkey, or we haven't found it yet. In Acrobat Reader it works with shift + arrow key in all directions.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I'm confused.

It works that way by default without using the Shift key.

If zoomed in to 200% on any document, if there is a horizontal scroll bar then the arrow keys will pan left, right, up and down just like the Hand Tool:
Pan when zoomed 2.gif
In this animation I set the zoom to 200% and pan up/down/left/right first with the hand tool and mouse, then with the 4 arrow keys. Is this not exactly what you are asking for?

What am I missing here?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

The PageUp or PageDown shortcut keys allow you to scroll up and down with minimal overlap, and I assume that elektroschrott wants to do the same thing in the left-right direction with shortcut keys. Sorry if my comment is off the mark.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

Thank you for pointing this out, I certainly understand that desire, I have spoken with the dev team and they agreed that this function should be implemented. I have created a formal feature request to track this item:

RT#6101: FR: offer "view jump" functions like Adobe does.

While internal only, you can ask any member of our support team for progress updates by referencing the ticket number above.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
elektroschrott
User

Post by elektroschrott »

Thanks a lot, that would be a great feature!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
elektroschrott
User

Post by elektroschrott »

Good morning! Are there still plans to integrate this feature? I can't find yet in the current version the possibility to scroll the current zoomed image section with a hotkey. Only in very small steps with arrow key or (identical) shift+arrow key. It would be great if e.g. shift+arrow key could scroll the section, the additional shift key currently does not change the function. 🤔
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello elektroschrott,

Have you tried Shift + Mouse Wheel? That would scroll left/right when the zoom level is high enough so that the whole width of the page does not fit in the viewing area.

Kind regards,
Stefan
elektroschrott
User

Post by elektroschrott »

Hi Stefan, thanks for the tip. The section can indeed be moved to the right with shift+mouse wheel, but only in small pieces.
I would like to be able to scroll the section sideways using the keyboard, as I have shown above with screenshots.

The background to this is that people with visual impairments do not use a mouse and are dependent on enlarging the document so that usually only half a page width is visible. Moving slowly with the left arrow or mouse wheel is unfortunately not an option. However, scrolling sideways using shortcuts would be perfect.

Thank you very much!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello elektroschrott,

I will pass your feedback to our devs, however for the time being we can only offer either the ribbon layout - which would scroll with big jumps left and right using Page Up / Page Down when the whole page height is visible. It would probably not work for you as if you can't fit the width of your page on screen - then likely the page height is also larger.

Kind regards,
Stefan
elektroschrott
User

Post by elektroschrott »

That's right, as a rule the pages are upright and the monitor is in landscape format. Therefore, this scrolling probably does not work. Unfortunately, scrolling with a script via the scrollbar (autoit or ahk) is probably quite unreliable.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, elektroschrott

Indeed, there are probably ways to make them more reliable, but it would be ideal to have an inbuilt option. Hopefully the Dev team sees the merit in this. As per usual, we cannot offer a guarantee of implementation until it is well on its way.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com