File properties, 2 keywords fields are not linked

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bawldiggle
User

File properties, 2 keywords fields are not linked

Post by bawldiggle »

In file properties there are TWO Keywords fields

[1] MenuBar > File > Document Properties > Description (category) > Keywords (textbox)
and
[2] Document Metadata > Description (category) > Keywords (textbox)

keywords entered into [1] are not displayed in [2]
If both [1] and [2] are cleared ...
... keywords entered into [2] are not displayed in [1]

keywords in [2] are auto semi-colon delimited (when I pasted a comma delimited string)
- Metadata keywords help states "Commas can be used to separate keywords"
BUT commas are converted to semi-colon when string is pasted into Metadata Keywords :?

I assumed both "Keywords" fields would mirror each other, but they do not.
Keywords in either [1] or [2] are found when Win-Explorer is contents searched - using FileSearchEX

Why are there 2 keywords fields :?:
Thank you :)
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: File properties, 2 keywords fields are not linked

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello bawldiggle,

for [2] - do you just e.g. right click the document to select "Document Metadata" ?
And have you tried saving the changes you did in [1] before opening [2] or vice versa?
As I just tested this here at my end and it seems to be working correctly and displaying the same keywords.

Regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I assume that in this case there is a feature of the strange binding of application interface fields and XMP tags that has not yet been fixed — «Possible bug with labeling tag fields ("Subject", "Keywords" and "Description")» https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38836

Also, I don't understand why the hint "Commas can be used to separate keywords" is displayed, although when entering keywords separated by commas, when reopening the document, they are displayed separated by a semicolon?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

You are correct that this is directly related to the ticket mentioned there, specifically this one:

RT#6091: Bug: Errors in XMP package - keyword metadata not saved in correct location

As for the separation tip, Note that is says "can" not "must" either are valid separation methods so far as I am aware. That said, I do believe the intent with this ticket is to link these two fields together, so only one should be used, instead of having separate handling/values.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com