[Feature request] Vertical tab bar - All tabs placed vertically  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vjuhasz2
User

[Feature request] Vertical tab bar - All tabs placed vertically

Post by vjuhasz2 »

Hello,

It would be great to be able to have an option to place all those tabs vertically. Instead of having a horizontal tab bar (as it is currently), where the tabs are becoming smaller and smaller, and more illegible, it would be nice to have an option to place the tab bar vertically along the left or right edge of the screen. The benefits of this option would be multifold:
- more vertical space for documents
- as most screens are 16:9 or 16:10, displaying the tabs vertically it makes sense, allowing wider, more legible tabs on the side.
- less scrolling, more convenience, more productivity.
A lot of browsers these day allow vertical tab placement - MS Edge, Vivaldi etc. (see image)- so it's the modern standard these days anyway.

If this gets implemented, please allow a sorting option for the last opened document(s) to be always be placed on top, rather than on the bottom, minimizing unnecessary scrolling. Many thanks.

vertical tab bar edge.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: [Feature request] Vertical tab bar - All tabs placed vertically

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, vjuhasz2

Thank you for the suggestion, I will ensure that the Dev team review this request, but I cannot promise a change at this time. In the meantime, you can use the tab dropdown button on the left side of the current tab menu to see a vertical list of your current tabs.
image.png
image.png (19.31 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

You got my +1 vote for this,
maybe even an option to verticalise the whole toolbar and not just the document tabs would be nice too. Just so that you get more vertical screen estate.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: [Feature request] Vertical tab bar - All tabs placed vertically  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,

I am sorry that i forgot to mention this earlier, I have created a format feature request ticket for this. While I cannot promise that the change will happen, hopefully we can see something in the future.

RT#6093: FR: Add vertical tab option to the Editor

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
vjuhasz2
User

Post by vjuhasz2 »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 pm In the meantime, you can use the tab dropdown button on the left side of the current tab menu to see a vertical list of your current tabs.
Thank you Daniel, I am aware of the dropdown button. The idea would be to have the tabs permanently placed / shown vertically (with an option to show newest documents on top) - not just temporarily in a popup window. :-)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Well the ticket is in and I personally love the idea. The ball is in the development team's court now.
We'll just have to see what they choose to do with it.

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com