[Suggsestion] Change "Move to Trash" to "Delete"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sibojang9
User

Post by sibojang9 »

"Delete" is the commonly used term for all major software that move files to trash as the standard deleting behavior. There is really no need to be wordy by saying "move to trash" and then repeat the same thing "Removes the active document from the local disk and moves it to the cycle bin".

I suggest just naming the command "delete" to make the interface simple and intuitive.
Attachments
DSC_0045.JPG
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: [Suggsestion] Change "Move to Trash" to "Delete"

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, sibojang9

Thank you for the input, I cannot promise there will be a change here, as we need to consider how changing any of the initial text will the volunteer translations. "Move to trash" is more clearly translated to the majority of other languages than "delete" is, and the further explanation only appears when you hover your mouse over the function looking for more information.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
sibojang9
User

Post by sibojang9 »

"Delete" is used everywhere in the world (look at window 10 screenshot below) and everyone understands it. I never heard any issue even in other countries. I am not sure why pdf x change chose the non-standard approach and reluctant to change.
Attachments
snap807.jpg
snap807.jpg (11.97 KiB) Viewed 410 times
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I agree that "Move to Trash" is the right term here, as this is exactly what happens, rather than simply "deleting" the document, whatever that exactly would mean for an open document. (Will the document remain open or visible? Can I undo "delete" by CTRL+Z...? etc.)

Also, Windows Explorer is not quite the appropriate analogy, since deleting an open (!) document directly in an editor is a special case which, apart from PDF-XChange Editor, only Google Docs and Notepad++ are able to do, to my knowledge.

And in both of these cases the corresponding menu item is also called "Move to Trash".
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

I personally agree with David on this one.

One of the great things about writing software is that we have the opportunity to do things differently, and I would like to think better than what others do.

The functionality in this case remains the same, it is moving the item to the Trash, it is not deleting it, so unless there was to be a rousing chorus of thousands yelling at us to "tow the line" and do as everyone else does I suspect this will remain as it is.

I do mean this with the best of intentions, not to be (more than a little) cheeky...

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
sibojang9
User

Post by sibojang9 »

Good point. If we want to follow notepad++, I suggest using the standard English of "Move to recycle bin" . There is no place literally called "Trash" in Windows OS. I embrace the sprite of doing it differently on the condition of that different is better.

Thanks.
Attachments
snap841.jpg
snap841.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

I would agree with this:
I suggest using the standard English of "Move to recycle bin" . There is no place literally called "Trash" in Windows OS.
Lets see if the devs think it worth changing. At the end of the day it will be at the development team's discretion.

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com