Perform PDF comparison via PDF tools

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Uwe Seyffarth
User

Perform PDF comparison via PDF tools

Post by Uwe Seyffarth »

Hello,

first of all congratulations for the first version of the PDF comparison. It already looks very good and works better than many well-known tools. This possibility brings me immediately on many ideas for the application.

Here is my question: Is there or will there be a way to control comparisons via PDF tools?

For example, I can imagine passing two versions of a PDF from a DMS to the PDF tools for comparison and displaying the result. This makes it possible to quickly check whether requested changes, and only these, have been made.

Thanks for a reply (for my first post).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Perform PDF comparison via PDF tools

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Uwe,

I asked the dev team leader about this and he pointed out that PDF-Tools does not have the ability to render PDFs on screen, so you would need to use the Editor to see the results anyway.

So the request was not accepted at this time I am afraid. The editor will need to be used for this.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Uwe Seyffarth
User

Post by Uwe Seyffarth »

Hi Paul,
thanks for the reply.
Is there a possibility, or will there be one, for example, to pass two PDFs to the editor and instruct the editor by parameter to carry out the comparison? That, too, would be a helpful solution to the task.

regards

Uwe
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Uwe Seyffarth,

No such option for the time being, and I am not aware of any plans to add it in a future build.
Such a command line would still need to launch the Editor's UI to show you the comparison - so calling it will likely be harder/slower than manually initiating the comparison anyway.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Uwe Seyffarth
User

Post by Uwe Seyffarth »

OK

thanks again for the quick reply.

A (last) idea on my part:

You can pass a JavaScript to the editor. Are the functions
- Start comparison
- select the PDF to be compared
can be called up via JavaScript? Unfortunately, we did not find any PDF-XChange-specific documentation and had to limit ourselves to that of Adobe.

Is there a solution to these questions?

regards
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Uwe Seyffarth

I have spoken with the Dev team on this, and I am afraid that at the moment, it is not possible to pass commands to the Compare tool using Javascript. That may be something we offer in the future, when the feature is more complete and we can be sure that internal functions will not have changing names/references, but at the moment, the tool is simply too early along in its life to consider implementing something this.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com