Default Page Zoom missing "Fit Height"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timur Born
User

Default Page Zoom missing "Fit Height"

Post by Timur Born »

Hello.

The "Default Page Zoom" setting is missing the "Fit Height" option, which generally I prefer most of my PDF files. Could this be added?

Thanks and regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Default Page Zoom missing "Fit Height"

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Timur Born

Unless you are frequently opening extremely wide landscape documents, the "fit page" function should accomplish this in the meantime, but I will pass the request along for consideration.

RT#6064: FR: Add "fit height" option to default and page zoom settings

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

- Fit page has a drawback on my 16:10 display. If I want to keep table of content to the left and advanced search to the right at sane sizes then a double sided book does not fill the height of the window. But most of these books only have empty space/art at their page borders, so for better readability it is benefitial to use "Fit Height".

- I am also missing a "Fit Height" equivalent zoom level after "Fit Page" and "Fit Width" while using CTRL+mousewheel/CTRL+Plus/minus.

- Using Two Pages view I get different levels for "Fit Height" and "Fit Page" by 0.01%, so zooming in/out uses two near identical steps (for my 219,2 x 282,6 mm files). So the zoom steps are: 125%, 126.62%, 126.63%, 150%. Instead I would expect 125%, 126.62%, 130.08% (height), 150%.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Timur Born

The "fit" zoom levels change dynamically based on the size of the application window, your document, and the chosen display DPI, the fact that they are very similar is not unexpected, but as I mentioned above, I have passed along the suggestion to our Dev team for consideration.
That is the most I can offer you at this time.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Fit Page and Fit Width should be the same for Two Page view. And indeed they are for certain window sizes, while differing by 0.0x% for other sizes (like maximized). When they are the same then they are merged into a single zoom step, when they are not the same then we get two identical zoom steps with just 0.0x% different numbers being shown (display of content does not change).

So it seems that these two Fit sizes use different rounding/calculations to get to nearly the same percentage and always identical display. I would expect both to always calculate the same percentages regardless of window size when the displayed document (Two Page) is wider than its height.

I found a workaround for my maximized view, though. I changed Editor's PPI setting and found several settings that get rid of the rounding error (currently set it to 100 PPI).
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Timur Born

Glad to hear it, I will forward that note about the difference when there really should not be one, but I cannot promise any changes in that respect at this time.

RT#6065: Bug: Certain documents consider "fit height/width" and "fit page" to be different

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

The DPI workaround didn't work in the long run, turns out that the size of the side-panels plays a bigger role in whether we get one or two steps for practically equal Fit Page/Width sizes.

Even without getting "Fit Height" as a default I would still very much like to see it getting its own step for zooming via CTRL-wheel/+-.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Understood Timur,

the ticket RT#6064: FR: Add "fit height" option to default and page zoom settings is in the system and we'll have to see what comes.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Any news on this?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Timur Born

I am sorry to say that at the moment it has gained little traction. As a request with very few vocalizing the need for it, it has been swept under the rug. I would expect that it will still be some time before we get around to this item.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com