Stamp Border and Background

Please post any ideas or requests for new features here for the End User Version of PDF-XChange (printer Drivers)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

xuser-steve
User

Stamp Border and Background

Post by xuser-steve »

1. It would be helpful to be able to add a border to an inserted image (which inserts as a stamp). When performing markups on documents, it is often useful to insert a sample as an image, but since a border cannot be added it is difficult to see what was inserted into the document without adding a separate rectangle to highlight the image.

2. It would be helpful to be able to add a solid background to a transparent stamp. Depending on where/how the stamp is being used, it is useful to be able to change the background after the stamp is inserted.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Stamp Border and Background

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, xuser-steve

Unfortunately, PDF is a format with many rules and regulations in its specification which we must adhere to. Thought it may be technically possible to add these to stamps, according to the spec, stamps cannot have a border or background value within the comment. Trying to add either would result in a file which does not adhere to the PDF specification, and could confuse other applications, leading to possible data loss in your document.

As such, I am afraid that this request has been rejected, the best alternative I can offer is to create duplicates of your stamps which have these borders and backgrounds built into the stamp itself, before placement, so that it does not need to be a separate item for the "comment".

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
xuser-steve
User

Post by xuser-steve »

Then perhaps you can treat images different from stamps like other pdf editors do?

Bluebeam has the ability to change the background color for the transparent colors in the stamps, and also allows a border to be added. It seems to work fine when viewed in other PDF viewers.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, xuser-steve

We can certainly take a look and see. Would you be able to send us a copy of a document which you have placed a few of these items in, so we can look at their implementation, and see if it was done in a way we can safely replicate?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
xuser-steve
User

Post by xuser-steve »

Image-Stamp Test.pdf
(78.89 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
I appreciate the detailed responses, and understand your reasoning for staying within the PDF standard.

If I open the attached document in Acrobat DC, the clipboard inserted image shows as a stamp, the inserted image shows as a rectangle, and the stamp shows as a stamp (same as PDF-XChange). So it appears Bluebeam is straying from the standard here also.

Any idea how to add a solid background to an existing stamp? That would solve one of my issues. I can live with adding a separate rectangle around an inserted image when needed.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello xuser-steve,

That cloud wiht picture inside is actually a rectangle annotation (as reported by us and other PDF Viewers), with a custom "fill". The moment you try to modify this rectangle the custom fill is lost and it reverts back to a regular rectangle annotation. In fact with our Editor you can at least move it around the page, while with Adobe the moment you touch that - and the image is gone.

So it's Bluebeam doing a rather unorthodox thing here to make a picture with border, but that is limited in that you can not preserve the image while making any other changes to this rectangle.

The "Border around image pasted from clipboard" - I am not sure hou you got that, but it would seem like the red border at that one is actually part of the stamp. This once pasted can be moved and resized, but you can not change the border of the same either.

So yes - it is Bluebeam offering such unorthodox features which while not breaking the spec make it impossible to actually modify those objects further in other PDF products like our Editor which kind of defeats the purpose, and having the image and the border as two separate objects is the better approach in my opinion (even if that means you might have to select two objects if you need to move the image and it's border').

Kind regards,
Stefan