Warning: problem with internal hyperlinks when merging pages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Just want to quickly share that I have just encountered a devastating issue with internal hyperlinks, after having upgraded to version 9.2.

I usually work with files that contain many thousands of internal hyperlinks that have been created over months or years of working with the respective PDF document.

Just now I noticed that all links in one of my files are broken, or point to wrong link targets, respectively, after several hours of editing the file with PDF-XChange Editor v.9.2. The editing included inserting, deleting and moving of pages. This has of course never been a problem before, as all links were adjusted automatically in each case. Since version 9.2, this no longer seems to be the case under certain (unknown) circumstances.

The links are also not only shifted by a certain constant value, but sometimes by five pages, sometimes by three pages, sometimes by seven pages and so on.

This is an absolute disaster for me, since the links are some of the most important information contained in these files.

I don't know what the reason is, but to be on the safe side, I can only warn against using version 9.2 when someone is working with (i.e. creating) internal PDF hyperlinks, or if you edit files that contain many such links

I am of course going back to version 9.1 right now.

Best regards
David.P
Last edited by David.P on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Warning: disastrous problem with internal hyperlinks since version 9.2

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Can you please send us (please use support@pdf-xchange.com or ivan@tracker-software.com) any of the files with broken links?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Yes I will do that as soon as I can, once I have fixed my file.

The only special thing I had done with this file recently (for the first time ever) was a merge operation of two pages (that had been a few pages apart), into one page:

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=37609&hilit=merge

Maybe the problem it is related to that.
Last edited by David.P on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Warning: disastrous problem with internal hyperlinks since version 9.2

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Yes, most likely merge pages operation is the reason, as the rest of code related to links/destination was not changed recently and there should not be any issues.

We are investigating where the problem might be.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
David.P
User

Re: Warning: problem with internal hyperlinks when merging pages

Post by David.P »

OK thanks, much appreciated.

I have changed the topic title accordingly, since as you are saying, it probably is not a new problem with v.9.2.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Warning: problem with internal hyperlinks when merging pages

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks David,

we will post back here what we find.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com