All tabs disappeared after Win10 feature update

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

cactusbob
User

All tabs disappeared after Win10 feature update

Post by cactusbob »

I'm running PDF-XChange Viewer v2.5 (Build 322.10) on Windows 10 Home. Today I updated my Windows 10 to version 21H1. After restarting Win10 I discovered that all my PDF-XChange Viewer tabs are gone! Why would updating Win10 cause this? What should I have done to prevent this from happening? And how do I recover all my tabs? TIA, Bob
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: All tabs disappeared after Win10 feature update

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi Bob,

Updating or even upgrading Windows should have no influence to your settings in PDF-XChange Viewer.

Most probably you pressed one of the following function keys which toggle the menu and/or toolbars in PDF-XChange Viewer:
- F8 = Show/Hide toolbar
- F9 = Show/Hide menu bar
- F10 = Properties toolbar
- F11 = Show/Hide all bars
- F12 = Full screen

The PDF-XChange Viewer manual is still available (see page 23 for keyboard shortcuts):
https://downloads.pdf-xchange.com/PDFVManual.pdf

I suppose you know that PDF-XChange Viewer has been replaced by PDF-XChange Editor since several years?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Best regards.

Willy

Keep us posted if your problem gets resolved.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello cactusbob,

The problem may be caused by incompatibility between our software and the latest Windows 10 because our PDF Viewer is an old and discontinued product, which we no longer develop or support.

Just to be sure that this is the case, we will need more information.
Could you please send us a screenshot of what you see at your end?

Regards.

Edit: Thanks Willy.
cactusbob
User

Post by cactusbob »

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:02 am Hello cactusbob,

The problem may be caused by incompatibility between our software and the latest Windows 10 because our PDF Viewer is an old and discontinued product, which we no longer develop or support.

Just to be sure that this is the case, we will need more information.
Could you please send us a screenshot of what you see at your end?

Regards.

Edit: Thanks Willy.
Thanks for the replies - much appreciate. I am sure that "caused by incompatibility between our software and the latest Windows 10" is the correct explanation. I've been using your PDF Viewer product for many years and never had a problem like this. But very strange that a Win10 update could cause this problem.

In any case, the lost tabs is not the end of the world - the PDF files still reside on my SSD so no data loss. And the Viewer product is obsolete ans unsupported - so I'll just move on. But meantime, is there a way to save a list of tabs for reference if lost again?
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello cactusbob,

You can export all program settings. This will keep them, just in case you need them again.

However, I advise you to install the PDF Viewer's successor, the PDF Editor.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor

You will be satisfied with its features, with many more being available in it's free version than in the free version of the Viewer.

It is also much more reliable.

Regards.