Edit certificate information

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mk795
User

Edit certificate information

Post by mk795 »

Hi all,

in the company I work for, we use the electronic signature based on the self created certificate for internal purposes. Instead of the department name, we specify that the job title should be given.
Now it happens that the job title of employees changes. In this case, is it always necessary to create a new certificate or is there a way to edit the certificate information?

I appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Matthias
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Edit certificate information

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, mk795

To my knowledge a certificate cannot be edited, at the very least, we do not offer a method of editing the "self signed" certificates which we offer. If you are using one of those, you will need to create a new certificate for them. If you have received these signature certificates from an proper Certificate Authority (CA) than you should contact them directly about any changes that need to be made to the certificate, and they should be able to help.

Do note that even if it is possible to edit a certificate, which again I do not believe it is, this will have no impact on any existing signatures in pre-existing documents that were signed previously. The certificate itself is embedded, as is, into the document at the time of signing.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mk795
User

Post by mk795 »

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your fast answer. Then it seems we need to create a new certificate when the job position changes.

I am aware that the information of a certificate already associated with a document via signature cannot be changed retroactively, which is good.

We just thought it would be useful to be able to change the certificate information of an already created certificate without having to create a new one.

Have a nice day!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mk795,

Thanks for the understanding, and yes - if it is self signed certificates - the easiest would be to just generate a new one with the correct details in it!

Kind regards,
Stefan