Licensing problem with roaming profiles - activation on each PC switch

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

guebert
User

Licensing problem with roaming profiles - activation on each PC switch

Post by guebert »

Hallo!

This is the follow-up to this posting:

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35631#p148370

As I wrote
We use roaming profiles and now I have to "Activate" the key every time I change the PC (today I'm at my office PC, tomorrow I'm using my notebook with the "same" profile, the next day I switch back ...).
This is quite annoying, because sometimes I use "combine with PDF-X" from explorer context menu an have no change to click on "activate" before ...

Any chance to get this problem fixed? Eg save the last x PCs in registry / your licence server which are activated?

Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Licensing problem with roaming profiles - activation on each PC switch

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello guebert,

You will need to activate on both your PC and the Laptop, and you should not need to do this activation every time, unless you are loading your same roaming profile to multiple hardware configurations!

Also - have you seen this:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... erver-farm

Kind regards,
Stefan
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:47 pm You will need to activate on both your PC and the Laptop
... I did ...
, and you should not need to do this activation every time, unless you are loading your same roaming profile to multiple hardware configurations!
I agree, I should not need to, but PDFX asks for it.

What do you mean with "multiple hardware configurations"? Of course my PC and my laptop are different. The user-profile is the same.
Also - have you seen this:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/482-I-have-a-problem-with-serial-keys-not-sticking-on-server-farm
Does this match my issue? The licence key is there, and valid. It's just the "activation via internet" I'm asked for every time I switch ...

Michael
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

BTW, is there any possibility to start PDF-X with the command to try the activation via internet? This would be a work-around for me.

If your license systems wonders about many activation from our office - because I would like to set this on all of my PCs - should be clarified BEFORE I will install V9 on other PCs than mine.

Michael
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, guebert

I believe Stefan misspoke there, What he should have said is that while you will need to reactivate each time, it will not take up any additional seats since the device is not actually changing. This is a limitation in the activation system and how it is stored locally, and unfortunately cannot be changed. The only way around it is to follow the steps in the article Stefan sent you:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... erver-farm
If you set this up as a logon script for your account, it will happen silently in the background as your sign into the device, and as such you will not be prompted and the software will be activated before you launch it.

If you do not wish to do this, you will need to click "activate > online" during the first launch.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

I have to agree, the new license requirement is a real pain. Our network has over 3000 discrete software packages, if we had to have a line in a logon script, group policy or reg hack for every one... It's not worth thinking about.

I have a whole system to run and can't be nursing every piece of software produced by paranoid vendors. This is enough of an annoyance we'll be moving to another product next time our license renewal comes around.

Hint: Don't make your software un-fun to manage for sys admins.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, IT Guy

I am sorry to hear that, I should note that we do have mechanisms in place for larger volume licenses to ensure we are not making our software deployments "un-fun" for sys admins. For anyone that is interested in these mechanisms, we simply ask that you email support@pdf-xchange.com for more details.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:29 pm we do have mechanisms in place for larger volume licenses to ensure we are not making our software deployments "un-fun" for sys admins. For anyone that is interested in these mechanisms, we simply ask that you email support@pdf-xchange.com for more details.
Is it security by obscurity or can you please tell us all?

Michael
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Michael,

indeed this information is not available to the general public and as such we do respectfully request that you email support@pdf-xchange.com regards this.

sincerely
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Just to put a 'Cap' on this and offer some comfort to those users who have medium/large installations or work within the security sector.

1: If you genuinely work within the security/Government sectors etc and you email us and request a serial number that requires no 'call home' activation - you will be provided with one - no question.

2: Most abuse of licenses in regards installing to a greater number of users than your license allows - are accidental/occur where only a small/limited license pack is purchased - therefore without being specific - only users with smaller license packs and the serial numbers provided for those users require online activation - medium to large license packs have a serial number that is already pre- determined NOT to require activation to avoid inconvenience etc.

3: All Single user/smaller licenses packs do require online activation and will continue to do so.

4: Any Corporate user who would prefer to be able to access stats and controls on license installations to avoid
advertent/accidental license abuse will have to request a serial number that does require 'online activation' to have the functionality to do so.

Activation is quick, unobtrusive and does not mean your system will contact our servers every time PDF-XChange is used - far from from it - this will occur as infrequently - perhaps once every 12-24 months.

I hope that helps to soothe some users concerns.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

And now the most important thing: What is a "medium license pack"? I'd buy a (little bit ...) bigger one than acutally needed to get this annoying activation question away?

Michael
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Please email support@pdf-xchange.com from your work domain - not a free public service please such as Gmail, state what license you require & we will offer a yes or no answer as to whether online activation is required.

It is our intention to vague in this regard in all public forums - so please do not ask us to publish such information online.

Please include a link back to this forum message for reference.

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Wow, really? I bought a license pack and there is no mention of this secret deployment method in the email that delivered the license. Might be worth updating your email template, I can only go on he information I have. Not many software vendors have hidden away enterprise features they don't tell us about, or do they...?

I have spent a huge amount of time tinkering with this app and your docs to simplify this process. I'm not sure if I'm pissed off or happy. I can tell you I'm not left with a smile on my face either way.
guebert wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:38 pm
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:29 pm we do have mechanisms in place for larger volume licenses to ensure we are not making our software deployments "un-fun" for sys admins. For anyone that is interested in these mechanisms, we simply ask that you email support@pdf-xchange.com for more details.
Is it security by obscurity or can you please tell us all?

Michael
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, IT Guy

I have just replied to you via email, to begin I should iterate that this system is only available and in place for Version 9 licenses. For anyone who has a currently valid large volume license that was purchased in version 8 or earlier, please sign into your user account, and see if you have an option to generate a Version 9 license key.
I also removed some license details from your post. Please remember that these are public forums, and all details you provide can be seen by anyone viewing the forums.

To anyone who has further questions on the matter, please email support@pdf-xchange.com with a copy of your license key. Please DO NOT POST any license information on these forums, or we may be required to block your key from further use. All inquiries on this matter should be directed to us via email.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com