Dynamic Date Stamp does not print

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Zumwalt
User

Dynamic Date Stamp does not print

Post by Zumwalt »

PDF-Xchange Editor Plus, V9, updated from 8 recently

When I print a PDF with a dynamic date stamp, the stamp does not print.
I have the Advanced Print Options set to "Whole Content", and tried on several printers.
If the stamp is flattened, then it prints.
The same stamp had worked in the past.

It's probably some setting I stupidly changed, but I can't find anything that seems to apply.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Dynamic Date Stamp does not print

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Probably you do not see the stamp in the print preview neither ?

Some ideas:
- the "Printable"-property of the stamp is set to "No"
- in the Print dialog-box, click the "More..." button, and make sure that the "Print Stamps" check-box is ON

Kind regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy,

I want to hear the answers to both of those questions, as well as whether "selecting "Document and Stamps" in the Advanced Print Options drop down helps?
image.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Zumwalt
User

Post by Zumwalt »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:39 pm Probably you do not see the stamp in the print preview neither ?

Some ideas:
- the "Printable"-property of the stamp is set to "No"
- in the Print dialog-box, click the "More..." button, and make sure that the "Print Stamps" check-box is ON

Kind regards.
Thanks for the suggestions Willy,

I don't see the stamp in the preview, either of the laser printer or PDF-Xchange Lite.
The properties of the Stamp says "Printable Yes"
Under more "Print Stamps" the check-box is ON

If it would help, I could send some screen shows of the pertinent settings, or a sample document.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Zumwalt

Yes please, if you could send us both screenshots of your settings, and a copy of the document, that would be quite helpful in troubleshooting here.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Zumwalt
User

Post by Zumwalt »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:07 am Hi, Zumwalt

Yes please, if you could send us both screenshots of your settings, and a copy of the document, that would be quite helpful in troubleshooting here.

Kind regards,
I was already to post those things when I found out it probably has nothing to do with settings.
It looks like a different behavior from V8.

I usually dbl click the PDF attachment in email, then add a date stamp, then print.
I don't want to revise the document, so I don't save it.

In version 7 & 8 that worked, but V9 it does not (at least on my system). However, it prints after I save the PDF.
I'm not attaching anything now since I'd have to save the PDF, and the stamp would print.

Any ideas?

and, thanks for your time
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Zumwalt

That should not have any impact on what is printed, as we would print the document with any changes made, regardless of the saved state. But, in the spirit of a complete investigation, could I ask you to confirm which email client you are using? After that, please forward a copy of one of those emails with a PDF attachment to us via support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum post, so we can test it here.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Zumwalt
User

Post by Zumwalt »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 am Hi, Zumwalt

That should not have any impact on what is printed, as we would print the document with any changes made, regardless of the saved state. But, in the spirit of a complete investigation, could I ask you to confirm which email client you are using? After that, please forward a copy of one of those emails with a PDF attachment to us via support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum post, so we can test it here.

Kind regards,
Daniel,

I've been using Thunderbird for years.

This is not as huge deal, as I just use a textbox and manually input the date, but it would be convenient to have it working again.
Your suggestion about email client did lead me to check some other things:
1. I created a new PDF with the date stamp, and it prints.
2. Other markups, such as textbox, work without saving.
3. When exiting from the PDF with the added date stamp I get this error:
An error occurred while saving the document to the file:
C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\20210212130548403-4.pdf
Error [Operating system]: Access is denied.

4. Saving to the normal PDF folder works.

I will forward an email with an attachment next.

thanks again
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Zumwalt

I also use Thunderbird, and have for years, yet am experiencing no troubles saving a document with a dynamic stamp applied. This simply should not be possible, as regardless of it being a dynamic or static stamp, the content is flattened and them combined into a single comment container before it is placed on the target document. Since they are handled and the actual content on the page is identical, it should not be possible to see any difference between a static date stamp and a dynamic date stamp after they have been applied (before we even consider printing).

As such, all I can suggest at this point is that you try first resetting our settings, and then reinstalling the software, and seeing if that combination of steps has any effect.

My apologies for the inconclusive result, but I hope that it helps.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Zumwalt
User

Post by Zumwalt »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 am Hi, Zumwalt

I also use Thunderbird, and have for years, yet am experiencing no troubles saving a document with a dynamic stamp applied. This simply should not be possible, as regardless of it being a dynamic or static stamp, the content is flattened and them combined into a single comment container before it is placed on the target document. Since they are handled and the actual content on the page is identical, it should not be possible to see any difference between a static date stamp and a dynamic date stamp after they have been applied (before we even consider printing).

As such, all I can suggest at this point is that you try first resetting our settings, and then reinstalling the software, and seeing if that combination of steps has any effect.

My apologies for the inconclusive result, but I hope that it helps.
Daniel,
You've been a lot of help. I know how difficult these things can be to track down when they involve many different environments.

For closure I've done a lot of experimentation and it comes down to how the PDF was generated.
The ones with the problem are raster scans from a printer.
Others, generated by PDF software and CAD work fine.
So, must be something corrupt with the way the printer creates the PDF.
I'll just have to tell my client to get a new scanner.

til the next time,
Dwight

Kind regards,
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Zumwalt

I suppose that all is well that ends well, though I am still concerned about the cause. You say that it seems to be document specific but as I mentioned, I used Thunderbird myself to open the file you sent, and was unable to reproduce the issue, indicating that something else is going on here.

Nonetheless, If you have found a workaround and are no longer concerned, we can close this topic. I will continue testing on my end and hopefully find a way to reproduce it and have our dev team incorporate a fix in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com