Disable select while using pencil

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Zarquan314
User

Post by Zarquan314 »

I am using this software to grade student's papers using a drawing tablet and the pencil tool.

However, I regularly accidentally grab my own writing with the stylus and move it rather than making pencil marks (as there is come math and I have to write over what I have written before).

Additionally, some students use movable images and text boxes to answer questions. These are extremely annoying to write on, as my stylus moves the image rather than writing on it.

Is there a way to disable "select" while the pencil is active so that I can't pick things up with the pencil?
Zarquan314
User

Re: Disable select while using pencil

Post by Zarquan314 »

I figured it out. In Format, there is a button called Exclusive Mode. I clicked it and all my problems vanished.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

:)
User1234
User

Post by User1234 »

I also have this issue but exclusive mode doesn't prevent it all the time for me.

If I'm not removing my hand from the screen then yes but after I wrote on some different parts of the screen and then go back or wait a bit or erase something in between then it sometimes still marks/selects the annotations I did with my pencil.
Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it still does.

Is there another setting which allows selecting in special cases? I don't want any selections with my pencil...
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, User1234

Exclusive mode is temporarily toggled on or off when the Shift key is held down, so if you are pressing Shift, or have another application running in the background (such as "autohotkey") which may temporarily press the shift key virtually, that could cause what you are describing. Beyond that, no, there are no functions to temporarily toggle exclusive mode when using a stylus that could result in you picking up a comment you are not currently working on.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
User1234
User

Post by User1234 »

I can reproduce it.

Write something with my pencil.
Press the button on the pencil to erase something.
Release the button (program goes back to pencil - that's good)
tap the written text with the pencil tip as if you want to write something additionally -> text gets selected

https://www.wacom.com/de-de/products/stylus/bamboo-ink
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, User1234

That handling would be expected, it is reproducible because it is the intended handling, when you tap/click on an existing comment (including a pencil comment), you should select it.
If you want to prevent this selection and movement, you will need to hold shift, or enable exclusive mode for the pencil tool before you begin To prevent other items from being selected.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
User1234
User

Post by User1234 »

That's what I did.

Enable exclusive mode for pencil
Write something
erase something (hold the button on the pencil)
release button on the pencil
tap on the written text
it gets selected

Maybe because the eraser is selected before and the eraser doesn't have exclusive mode?

See video here:
https://streamable.com/sk4mc8