Avoid transparency flattening when printing to PDF

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Avoid transparency flattening when printing to PDF

Post by David.P »

Hi forum and Tracker Team,

I'm trying to create a PDF from PowerPoint where some lines have a "Glow" effect in order to make them more visible against the background, like this:

However, when printing to PDF, the transparency that comes with this "Glow" effect in PowerPoint seems to be flattened somehow, by creating a relatively coarse bitmap overlay which looks like this:

I can't seem to find a way how to convert this PowerPoint file such that the transparency is retained in the resulting PDF, or at least such that the background shape is not getting pixelated.

I attach both files for testing.

Thanks for all ideas.

--
line with white 'Glow' effect.pptx.zip
(21.73 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
line with white 'Glow' effect.pdf
(7.96 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Avoid transparency flattening when printing to PDF

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, David.P

My apologies for the delay here, I have created the following ticket regarding this issue:

#5282: Transparency flattening when printing to PDF causes pixelation

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Avoid transparency flattening when printing to PDF

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, David.P

The Dev team has just come back to inform me that this is not something we have any control over, so it cannot be addressed from our end. The trouble is that in the act of printing, PowerPoint itself is converting the objects into a format supported by physical printers.

The only ways to create a PDF which has translarency is to either use a "convert/export to PDF" function from within powerpoint, or to directly drag the *.pptx file into our Editor, and allow it to be converted that way. As such, the ticket I created earlier is being closed.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com