Vector Graphics support

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jworms
User

Vector Graphics support

Post by jworms »

Hi,

is it possible to copy and paste vector graphics (shapes or drawings), which are selected in pdf files, and to edit them then in apps like illustrator, inkscape or Libreoffice Draw. Alternatively can such apps be used directly similar to the processing of images in pdf xchange editor.

Thanks

Josef
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Vector Graphics support

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello jworms,

I have not tested this myself, and it is possible that this could work with some applications (e.g. Illustrator being an Adobe product can open PDF files naturally, and you can then edit the vector objects in the PDF file as if you have an Illustrator document, so maybe copy-pasting from the Editor will also work), however I can not guarantee that it would actually work. What is it that you need to do with those vector objects that can not be done inside the PDF file directly using the tools our Editor offers?

Kind regards,
Stefan
jworms
User

Post by jworms »

Hi Stefan,

sometimes I need parts of the embedded vector graphics for building new graphics with added subjects. Normally I use Photoline for image processing (bitmap, vector). Photoline is able to open pdf files and to edit them. But pdf xchange is a lot faster in opening the pdf files, thus it would be an improvement and a gain in speed if I could copy only the vector graphics to Photoline.

Thanks for your support

Josef
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all,

thanks to Josef for the interesting mention of Photoline!

I agree that it would be great to have a possibility to "externally edit" vector graphics that are contained in a PDF.

It has been for decades, and still is, a difficult task because there is no "universal" vector exchange format that supports everything that makes up vector graphics -- other than maybe the somewhat limited SVG and WMF/EMF formats.

It is however already amazing that PDF-XChange Editor can save selections or entire PDF documents as high-quality PowerPoint files.

I use this a lot to convert things like complex CAD drawings from PDF to Office vector graphics that everyone can easily use, modify and remix using PowerPoint or Word, without having to use pixelated screenshot workarounds.

It also works the other way round: you can select vector graphics in PowerPoint or Word, copy them and simply paste them into PDF-XChange Editor as base content or as stamp, and in both cases what you get is high quality vector content.

Since this already works really well in both directions, maybe it would be possible to add something like "Edit in PowerPoint" to the context menu of base content selections.

That would be awesome, all the more since PowerPoint (same with Word), in my experience, has the worlds easiest and best Bezier editing capabilities (for the casual user):

Bezier curve editing in PowerPoint/Word

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
jworms
User

Post by jworms »

Hi David,

with respect to Acrobat graphics and images are exchanged as pdf files between Acrobat and the image and vector processing apps. It would be great if this would be also possible with the xchange editor. Apps like Inkscape and Photoline accept pdf files. As said in my comments copy and paste can but have not to be the only way to realize the exchange of data.

Cheers

Josef