How to get new OCR Plug in for existing v7 PDF-XChange PRO with active maintenance

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pwwd
User

How to get new OCR Plug in for existing v7 PDF-XChange PRO with active maintenance

Post by pwwd »

Good Day

I have a active v7 PDF-xChange Pro license (which I'm downloading the latest version now)

Looking to try the OCR add-on to see how it compares with other tools and the standard included OCR included.

Can I get a licenses using my existing matenance?

When I renew my licenses (In about 290+ days), I can add the OCR to it, and at that point, it will be a perpetual licenses?

Sincerely

Paul
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How to get new OCR Plug in for existing v7 PDF-XChange PRO with active maintenance

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, pwwd

V7 is not able to use the Enhanced OCR in any case regardless of license as the Plugin is simply not present or compatible with that version. And V8 with EOCR licenses will not work in V7 at all. With that said however if your V7 license still has active maintenance, it will work in V8 and cover the EOCR plugin.
If you update the software to V8, then until the day your maintenance expires you will have an "extended full trial" of the EOCR plugin without watermarks. After that time elapses, you will find that the EOCR plugin is automatically disabled and you will need to purchase a V8 with EOCR license to continue using the Plugin indefinitely.

I should also note that if you choose to upgrade your license from V7 to V8 with EOCR before the maintenance expires, you may be eligible to receive a large discount on the EOCR plugin itself.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
pwwd
User

Re: How to get new OCR Plug in for existing v7 PDF-XChange PRO with active maintenance

Post by pwwd »

Hi Daniel

Have the latest v8 downloaded (just not installed) and my maintenance is good for another 290 days. I actually bought the v7 Pro license in conjunction for some testing for a client, and haven't used it much since then. There's some renewed interest, so doing some more testing before going forward

You mentioned that once my maintenance is done, I would need to buy a " V8 with EOCR license to continue using the Plugin indefinitely"

Confused on the Upgrade from v7 to V8. Is v8 not included as part of the maintenance?

I was under the impression that I'm just missing the EOCR license (was actually looking on the website to buy the EOCR license but couldn't find a stand alone purchase)

So I was expecting to extend my maintenance, and purchase the EOCR license?

Or do I need to re-buy a full v8 with the EOCR option?

Sincerely

Paul
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, pwwd

Because of maintenance, yes, V8 itself is included in your active V7 license, however the EOCR plugin is an optional addition to V8 licenses and thus is not included as a part of your base license. We opted to offer it temporarily to all V7 license holders while their maintenance is active, so that those who purchased a V7 license just before V8 was released would not be in a situation where our system does not allow for a renewal/extension and be unable to acquire the EOCR plugin.

Simply put, you have a free extended trial for the EOCR until your V7 license expires (new users on receive a 30 day trial after the first installation of any v8 product). On the day that your v7 maintenance expires the "extended Trial" for the EOCR will end, and the plugin will be disabled automatically as it was not included in your initial license purchase. This news article explains further.

To answer your purchase question, yes, the EOCR plugin is not available as a standalone purchase, it can only be bought in conjunction with a compatible license. In your case, as you hold an existing license, you will be presented with the option to "ADD Enhanced OCR" to your license while renewing/extending maintenance, during the checkout process you will notice a large yellow/orange button to accomplish this. AS mentioned before, if you choose to add EOCR to your license, I would recommend doing so before your V7 maintenance expires, as you will likely be eligible for a discount on the plugin itself during that timeframe.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com