View > Snap | Help Lines

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

daniel_lutz
User

View > Snap | Help Lines

Post by daniel_lutz »

Under "View" there is the menu item "Snap in". How exactly does it work? In general it is not comprehensible how exactly the help lines work. If an element is selected and I move it towards the help line, it is difficult to hit the line exactly, because there is no snapping in any form! Or it is not accessible to me from the manual.

Best Regards

Daniel
Best regards
Daniel

PDF XChange pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: View > Snap | Help Lines

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Daniel,

There should be no item named "Snap In" on the view tab, as we do not have any commands named "Snap In". If I do not answer your question below, could you please take a screenshot to show the function to which you are referring?

If you mean the snapping functions, available in the Preferences under the Measurements Category, then I will have to disappoint. The guidelines in the Editor are currently only visual guides, they do not provide anchor points for measurements or other objects. It is something we have an active feature request for, but there is no timeline on implementation.

Regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
daniel_lutz
User

Post by daniel_lutz »

That's when the command was wrongly translated by me. But yes I mean that the help lines are more than just a visual orientation. But what exactly does the command "Snap" do in this context?

Regards
Best regards
Daniel

PDF XChange pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Daniel,

Under Preferences (Ctrl+K) -> Measurement -> Snapping you have quite a few options.
If you have turned on snapping tu guides, and have a guide on the page - you can then snap to it.
On the image below you can see a green arrow. It is showing the control point from my shape that I grabbed with the mouse and started moving. It has 'snapped' to the guide line that I also have visible on the image, and the snap point is the small square you can see.
snapping.png
Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I just tried snapping and found it surprisingly limited. Comments and forms do snap, but there is no snapping for (Edit) content like images, text and shapes?!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Timur,

Yes - snapping only works for annotation objects for the moment!
I will check with our devs if snapping can be implemented for base content items as well!

Regards,
Stefan