I want to speed up the first page display.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

user-benq
User

I want to speed up the first page display.

Post by user-benq »

Drawing the page to display again is fast.
Drawing the page to display for the first is slow.
Is there a way to draw quickly from the first display?

I tried to optimize the PDF, but there is a difference between the speed of the first display and the speed of the second display.
So let me know another way.

spcifcation
windows10 home
Corei3-7130U
RAM:20GB

System memory :10GB available
Cache maximum storage period :maximum
Timur Born
User

Re: I want to speed up the first page display.

Post by Timur Born »

That would need Editor to create a search index or offline cache (that retains content between sessions), which unfortunately it does not offer.
user-benq
User

Post by user-benq »

Timur Born
Thanks for answering.
I wanted those features.
But I am sorry that there is not.
As a test, I created a full cache using a 500 page PDF.
Then 7GB of memory was used. So this feature may not be useful.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Well, a cache file of 7 gb size could be written to disk. You would then trade disk read/write for CPU processing. A limited version that only caches the first two pages might be useful as a compromise. But even then we are still waiting for background pre-processing to be implemented in Editor, so it all hangs in the air.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

One workaround would be to run Editor in a virtual machine and then suspend and resume said machine. Of course this uses extra resources, but once my extra 16 gb of memory arrive I will give this a try.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Timur is right in that we do not cache the files, and on closing the file we save nothing for use next time. Windows on the other hand can cache the document.

At the end of the day, it is going to take the same amount of time to open a document from cache as from a local disk since the cache is most likely on disc anyway as Timur pointed out.

I spend a lot of time using Virtual Machines, and even with 64GB RAM on my workstation with SSD drives it is still a much slower process to suspend/resume a VM than the delay typically seen in opening a PDF. That is the case whether I am using VMWare, Hyper-V, or qemu/libvirt.

The real question here would be, I think, how does the Editor compare to it's competitors in this area?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
user-benq
User

Post by user-benq »

I see, there is such a way.
I purchased a license and performed a PDF optimization. As a result, it became possible to browse comfortably.
I want developers to implement a function that reads several pages before and after the PDF.
Thank you for your reply.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi all,

Glad to hear you've found a way to browse comfortably!

Have a great day,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:28 pmAt the end of the day, it is going to take the same amount of time to open a document from cache as from a local disk since the cache is most likely on disc anyway as Timur pointed out.
I do not concur in all case. Most of my recreational PDF files contain several images on each single page. Since images are still rendered by a single CPU thread there is delay even on a 5 Ghz 9900K processor on image heavy pages. Single large images seem to be worse than many small ones.

Pre-Loading pre-processed cache data from M.2 SSD happens at a rate between 50 (4k random, queue 1) to over 3000 mb/s (sequential, queue 8 ) on my system. If pre-processed (image) data was read from cache for all pages in the background (preferably up to 8 pages concurrently) then I would not have to wait for pages to build up. Add the cached text/search (not even a real index) and we would get instant search results on top of that.

Here is an example:

642 pages of an image heavy PDF take up nearly 8 gb of memory when all pages are cached to RAM. Flipping through all 642 pages without pre-processing takes 1:15 min, flipping through the memory cached pages only takes 22 seconds. Reading a single huge chunk of 8 gb data from M.2 SSD at 3 gb/s takes less than 3 seconds. Of course this only applies to my system.

But what we really need is pre-processing of forward and backward pages and text (for quicker search). Caching would not have much of an impact then anyway.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Timur,

Thanks for your feedback! Indeed preparing the previous and next few pages in some way would have noticeable effect on the way PDFs files are seen and used in our products, but this is not a trivial task - so while we do have Feature requests for pre-rendering - I do not currently have estimates if or when such a feature will be available.

Regards,
Stefan