How do I use the side scroll feature?

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
Lighthouse_Foundation
User

How do I use the side scroll feature?

Post by Lighthouse_Foundation »

I use PDF-Xchange Editor version 7.0 on a Lenovo ThinkPad tablet PC. If I'm reading a very large document and I want to scroll quickly through dozens or even hundreds of pages, I thought I could grab that square along the righthand side scroll bar and move it up and down.

scroll.PNG
scroll.PNG (12.44 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
But no matter what I do with my finger or a stylus, I can't get that square to move. Sometimes it turns yellow, and I don't know what that means, but in no case am I able to move it up and down in order to scroll quickly through a large document.

What am I doing wrong?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How do I use the side scroll feature?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Lighthouse,

The Scroll feature should work normally whether being operated with touch or mouse.
The yellow highlight you mentioned seems like it could be caused by some windows "Ease of access" options. Please try disabling assistive touch or possibly read out loud if enabled in windows and then see if this works properly for you.

After that my advice is to ensure that Windows itself is fully updated. If that does not help, please update our software, as we are now in version 8 (build 335.0) and this issue does not seem to happen on this end for me on any of our touch devices.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Lighthouse_Foundation
User

Thank you for your reply. I upgraded to version 8 but I think my problem is lack of horsepower. This tablet is limping along with 2GB of memory and a 1.80 GHz processor. I am guessing that scrolling through that many pages requires more resources than this tablet can provide. It's not something I frequently need to do.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

HelloLighthouse,

While the hardware limitations could have an effect on responsiveness, it should not prevent it from working entirely. Can you confirm if scrolling like this at least works in smaller documents, or is it still unresponsive?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Lighthouse_Foundation
User

I am still not able to use the scroll feature. See attached video. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. https://youtu.be/ajwEyP8KRfI
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Lighthouse,
Thank you for the video, It is certainly odd that you cannot grab it at all. Might I suggest enabling the "touch optimized UI"? This makes many items, including the scrollbar larger so that they are easier to grab, perhaps that would help?
image.png
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com