Take a photo

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jmecalux
User

Take a photo

Post by Jmecalux »

Hi,

I'm a new user of PDF-XChange Editor and I want to generate a pdf with an object that allows you to take a picture (with the camera of your device, tablet/computer based on Windows) and insert this image directly into the pdf document.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Take a photo

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jmecalux,

welcome to the Tracker Forums and thanks for the post. There is definitely no built in tool to do this, and I am not sure how one would even go about that to be honest.

Are you a programmer? It MIGHT be possible with some coding but I'd need to touch base with the devs to see.

I'll come back and post what I get from a discussion with them.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jmecalux
User

Post by Jmecalux »

Hi Paul,

thank you very much for your message. I'm a PLC programmer, so I'm not an expert with JavaScript. I would appreciate if you could help me with the code.

Thank you for your enquiry to the developers, I'll be waiting for your answer.

Best regards!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Jmecalux,

I believe Paul was suggesting one of our SDK products, not JavaScript, as JS is very limited in its external file access, let alone external devices. We are still waiting for confirmation from our dev team on if there is even a possibility that this could be done in the first place, so we will followup on that hopefully later today.

Unfortunately in either case, we would not be able to assist much in writing the code itself, only in addressing errors you encounter within complete code you have written.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Jmecalux,

I have some much better than expected news!

It seems that this is an old feature we were considering, and at the time found some issues with its implementation, and thus scrapped the idea. I have been given permission to reopen that as a new feature request for you.
I have also received confirmation that if you wanted to build this yourself, the SDK would indeed be required, JS alone would not be able to accomplish this. That said, since we now have this Feature Request, it may be implemented on our end for all users to enjoy in the future.

For reference, you can ask any member of our support team about the following ticket number for an update on the progress of this:
RT#5037: FR: image capture with camera device

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jmecalux
User

Post by Jmecalux »

Hello Daniel,

That's amazing news. I am very happy to hear it, if possible, I would like to know approximately how long it will take to develop this new feature. I think it will be a very useful new tool for the software that all users will enjoy.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Jmecalux,

Unfortunately, our developers cannot provide us with an exact date when it will be ready because they are quite busy, but we will keep you posted about any progress.

Regards.
Jmecalux
User

Post by Jmecalux »

Hello,

All right, I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

You are welcome.

Regards.
julio chavarria
User

Post by julio chavarria »

Hi Guys,
I need to know if this request is going forward in new updates or version. I am working with forms, using add image box in the forms, but I need to add the image in the field with the camera device (tablet for example using Windows 10 OS). I am doing live site surveys and actually the process is to take the photo, later load it with the feature looking in the folder for the right picture to be added in the right place in the form. This a process with a lot of spend of time and not a good productivity feature for me. If you adds the capacity to take the photo and added to the form document and then go with next photo in the form immediately and save the form with all photos... that will be a huge success for all like me. Could you thing about it and try to add it to the form features (like a camera button).
Julio Chavarria
SSIRETEL S.A.
Cody - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Cody - Tracker »

Hello,

I have checked with our developers, and unfortunately it is not yet in development, but has not been ruled out. It is still being considered for a future addition. As more users move to mobile Windows devices, the priority for this feature is expected to increase. I hope to see it added soon, but as before, we cannot guarantee if or when.

Kind Regards
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Cody Andrews
Tracker Support North America