Tracker Updater - I'm confused

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

Tracker Updater - I'm confused

Post by Peter2 »

Tracker Updater shows me this result:
grafik.png
What does it mean? I'm allowed to update the entire "Pro", but "Editor" as part of the package is not allowed?
I looked at my licence - it is expired (since some time as I know).
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Tracker Updater - I'm confused

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

At my opinion, you only have a license for PDF-XChange Editor. A license that has expired in the meanwhile.

In case you risk to run the update for the Editor, all its licensed features will no longer work as licensed and you will get publicity stamps on your pages. That is why the option "Include updates that are incompatible with the maintenance plan" is NOT checked in your case.

Because you do not have a license for PDF-XChange Pro, it makes no difference if you do the update or not. Licensed features will still work as non-licensed. That is why the check-box for this update is marked.

NOTE: The question remains @Tracker Support, if Editor will be excluded from the Pro-update ?

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello All,

This issue is caused by running two different installers side by side, The PRO and Editor *installers* are separate items and as such, according to windows, they each have their own data, this stage of our updater simply checks windows to see which versions of our software is installed and then check to see if updates are available based on that.

Simply put, you currently have overlapping installations of the Editor, as the PRO installer will also install/update the Editor. In this situation, I would highly recommend completely uninstalling ALL of our software before trying to get the latest version of either, as updating either installation in this state could damage window's records of our installers and make updating or even uninstalling in the future very difficult for you.

Once both versions are uninstalled, you can as willy mentioned, install the latest version and run it for free, having demo labels applied when using a premium feature. Alternatively, if you wish to use the licensed version, please sign into your user account and download the version of the installer for your product there. You can also recover your license key from that page during the process.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

@Willy
thanks, but I just checked again: I have only one (expired, but valid) licence.

@Daniel
thanks too. For me it is clear now, I will see what I'll do.
For the other users it would be great if you could find a way to avoid this unclear behaviour of Updater.
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

No worries Peter, Ill bring this up internally here and see what we can come up with.

All the best! :D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com