How to set default profile for users?

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sandsand
User

How to set default profile for users?

Post by sandsand »

Hi.
I am creating a service that creates a PDF-XChange printer instance when needed. But how can I set the default settings for the users? I have managed to create a new profile for all users using HKLM Registry, but this profile is not set as default profile.

I know this can be done manually, but that is not a practical solution. This has to be done programmatically. Is it possible?

Thanks...

Regards
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How to set default profile for users?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello sandsand,

Our Drivers API SDK should not be used to provide general PDF printing drivers to end users, and in the way it is intended to be used - you should have full control over the driver settings and how files are created.
Can you please explain in a bit more details how is the driver used in your project, and why you need to have the end users access the end user UI and default settings?

Regards,
Stefan
sandsand
User

Post by sandsand »

I am not using the SDK to provide general PDF printing for end users. I am trying to develop a service that creates a common printer instance on a multi-user server, and a client software (per user) that uses this printer.

The users should not have to change any settings for the printer. Is it possible to get the client software to choose profile programmatically? Or change DevMode settings?

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Sandsand,

I've asked a colleague from the dev team to take a look and assist with answering your enquiry!
We will post again here as soon as we have any further information!

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Sandsand,

Just got a reply from my colleagues in the dev team that the SDK is not intended to use profiles. You as the developer have control over all settings, and the SDK printer should not be provided as a regular end-user printer.
You should instead e.g. present users with some UI of your own - and when they make only the changes you want them to - then pass the print job to the SDK driver with your code controlling all settings, and the users not even seeing there are any settings to change.

Regards,
Stefan