We have the big size drawing file

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

seojeong
User

We have the big size drawing file

Post by seojeong »

Hi

The dimension of the drawing is 841 mm x 7000mm.
Custom Form Size of PDF-XChange is up to 5080mm, we found out that our drawing is over size for PDF Form size.
to solve this problem we have an idea like followings.

1. Make it small to 50% and then make a PDF
2. Process "PDF User-Unit"
3. Enlarge it to 200% when printing

Do you have any helps or opinions as to above steps?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: We have the big size drawing file

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello seojeong,

If you originally produce a PDF that is 420.5 x 3500 mm and then change the UserUnit - the file should then start reporting as a 841 x 7000 mm one - and printing at 200% won't be necessary. But to change the user unit you will need quite some knowledge for the PDF structure.

Regards,
Stefan
seojeong
User

Post by seojeong »

as to your suggestion, in that case do you have software products which change "users unit"?

or do you recommend PDF software products for us?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello seojeong,

I am sorry but I am not aware of a product that can change the User Unit for an existing file at this moment :(

I have only made such a change to user units once - and manually edited a file to do so. The file was a very simple one for testing purposes though! I think I did my test with the file from this topic: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 39&t=20920

Regards,
Stefan
PBA
User

Post by PBA »

Hi,

I have also the same kind of problem. Let say that the dimension of the drawing is 841 mm x 7000mm. Due to the 5080 mm limit, I scale down the drawing by 50 % to have a PDF size of 420.5 x 3500 mm. I would like to be able to set the User Unit to 2 so that the PDF is reporting a size of 841 mm x 7000mm and so that the printing at 200 % will not be necessary.

Is there a way to set the User Unit with the Driver API SDK ?

If not, would it be possible to add a property to do so ?

Thank you.

Philippe
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Philippe,

Just checked with our devs, and the driver (and the API) appear to be limited by GDI, and that's why we could not historically create files larger than 5080mm/200in (technically the limitation is 6553.5 mm wide - 2^16), but one of our colleagues said that he will check if anything has changed in the latest versions of Windows.

In the mean time - we will be working on allowing the Editor (and probably the Core API) to be able to resize pages to dimensions larger than 5080mm/200in.
The ticket for that FR is:
#4994: FR: Editor to be able to resize pages to more than 5080mm width/height (ability to set /UserUnit when resizing)

Regards,
Stefan
PBA
User

Post by PBA »

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for looking into this.

I have no problem to scale down the document so that it fits in the 5080 mm limit but I would like to be able to set the user unit manually with Driver API SDK.

I remember a few years ago that I have generated a (scaled down) PDF with the the Driver API SDK, opened the file with the Core API SDK to change the User Unit. By doing so, I got the result I wanted. It worked perfectly except that I had problems to synchronize both API (to reopen the file the Driver API SDK has just generated with the Core API SDK) I thought to work only with the Core API SDK but didn't manage to get the same output quality that the driver produce.

Thank you for your help.

Philippe
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Philippe,

I am afraid that the drivers API SDK is limited in what it can do and how it 'prints' the PDF.
We will look at making it possible to create larger files with the Editor and maybe Tools/Core API SDK, but our devs are still investigating if the Drivers API will ever be able to create larger files.

Regards,
Stefan