Adding text

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

AlbrechtMehl
User

Adding text

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

I would like to add text to an already existing document and have two problems:

1. Text size
home > adding > adding text: then I can expand an rectangle with six yellow points and a green one to an arbitrary size. BUT the moment I release the mouse button the rectangle shrinks and cannot be expanded again using the yellow points even though there would be enough space for the intended size of the text rectangle. What is my mistake?

2. Text color
The added text should be in a different color. Clicking View does not result in a pane, but in a menu bar. There I cannot see a reference to
color. How to change the color for the text to be added?

I should add that I am using the german version of the editor giving different names for the options, e.g. Ansicht instead of View ... etc.

A. Mehl
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Adding text

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello AlbrechtMehl,

When you add a text, a Format Tab will appear in the upper menu:

image.png

From this Format Tab you can set the font type, color, and size.

I hope this helps.

Regards.
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Dear Dimitar,

thank you for you helping hint. There is another problem with this adding of text.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:59 pm Hello AlbrechtMehl,

When you add a text, a Format Tab will appear in the upper menu:

image.png

From this Format Tab you can set the font type, color, and size.

I hope this helps.

Regards.
The original text has several lines. I would like to insert text in between let's say for example line 3 and line 4. But the white space between those two lines is too narrow to accomodate the additional text. So the problem is how to push line 4 and the following lines downwards so that empty space arises into which the additional text can be placed. To illustrate: in a 'normal' text - Ascii - one simply would push enter, enter, enter ... to create this empty space.

Regards,

Albrecht
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello AlbrechtMehl,

Pressing the Enter key should work here as well.

If the text doesn't move down when you press the Enter, there must be a field around it that needs to be resized.

Please try that and let us know if it works for you.

Regards.
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Dear Dimitar,

thank you for your reply which unfortunately does not help.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 pm Hello AlbrechtMehl,

Pressing the Enter key should work here as well.

If the text doesn't move down when you press the Enter, there must be a field around it that needs to be resized.

Please try that and let us know if it works for you.

Regards.
Here is what I do:
1. open the document
2. adding > text adding
The mouse pointer becomes a cross together with a T,
the new tab Format appears
3. click between the lines where the text should be added
a small box with six yellow and one green point appears
4. The box can be shifted to other places or can be turned, but CANNOT be enlarged.
5. Using the Format new text is written in red into the box.
6.BUT when removing the box the new text stands as written, i.e. overlieing the existing lines,
not between them.

I would be very grateful for you repeating the experiment and giving me the various steps
in detail as I have done.

Regards,

Albrecht
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello AlbrechtMehl,

Using Enter key works just fine at my end!

Could you please try to disable Edit Text Elements as Blocks and see if this work for you:

image.png

Is it possible to send us an example file in which you have set up the same situation?

If it is, please send it to support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Dear Dimitar,

thank you for your speed reply. Alas, it did not help.

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:00 pm Hello AlbrechtMehl,

Using Enter key works just fine at my end!

Could you please try to disable Edit Text Elements as Blocks and see if this work for you:

image.png

Is it possible to send us an example file in which you have set up the same situation?

If it is, please send it to support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
Here is what I do and the reaction of the program thereon:

1. Text bearbeiten > Text als Block bearbeiten; this one has been inactivated.
2. T hinzufügen > Text hinzufügen: a new tab Format appears , the mouse pointe becomes a cross together with a T
3. mouse click between to lines where text should be added: a small input field with 6 yellow and one green point appears
4. Enter Enter Enter Enter: the input field gets enlarged downwards
5. writing two lines into the input field
6. click onto the document outside of the input field: the input field disappears, a new small one appears at the location of
the click, the added text - see 5. - lies over the orgininal text, the lines below the intended insertion have not been shifted
downwards.

The original file has been sent as requested to support ....

Please give in your answer your actions indetail and the reaction of the program the way I have done and not just
a few sentences.

Regards,

Albrecht
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello AlbrechMehl,

From what I see in the email conversation, Dimitar discovered that the issue pertained to the content of the document being an image. When attempting to edit, add or alter existing text, the text in question must be selected. In your sample document, there was no text to select, so first we needed to run our ne Enhanced OCR over it, to convert the images into editable text.

Once the text was made editable, there are two methods that can be used. You can add text, the way that you have been so for, however note that the "add text" tool, DOES NOT alter other existing content. If you wish for the text below to move down a line when you add a new line of text, you will need to instead us the "Edit > text" tool (with "Edit text elements as blocks" enabled):
image.png
After this, double click on the existing text you wish to alter, and you can begin editing that "block" of text, instead of adding a new separate line item in front of it.

I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Hello Daniel,

thank you for your additional remarks. BUT they did not give the desired result.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:24 pm Hello AlbrechMehl,

From what I see in the email conversation, Dimitar discovered that the issue pertained to the content of the document being an image. When attempting to edit, add or alter existing text, the text in question must be selected. In your sample document, there was no text to select, so first we needed to run our ne Enhanced OCR over it, to convert the images into editable text.

Once the text was made editable, there are two methods that can be used. You can add text, the way that you have been so for, however note that the "add text" tool, DOES NOT alter other existing content. If you wish for the text below to move down a line when you add a new line of text, you will need to instead us the "Edit > text" tool (with "Edit text elements as blocks" enabled):
image.png
After this, double click on the existing text you wish to alter, and you can begin editing that "block" of text, instead of adding a new separate line item in front of it.

I hope this helps!
My procedure:

1. umwandeln > gescannte Seiten optimieren: a window 'optimieren' opens
2. changing nothing in this window > ok: the document ist optimized
3. start > T bearbeiten: menue is opening downwards, 'Text als Block bearbeiten' is activated, the mouse pointer gets a T in a box
4. double click on the original text at the place where the added text should be: the paragraph containing this place is put into a box,
a input prompt (vertical line) appears
5. typing: the input prompt moves to the right, but no text appears

Apparently I make a mistake. You would help me by giving your advice not in sentences as you have done, but rather in the
detailed manner I did: your action and then the reaction of the program.
You said I should use edit anstead of adding. But then I see no way the change

- the color
- the size of the additional text.

So in addition to getting things moving at all I would like those two features as well.

Thank you for your patience and that of Dimitar

Regards,

Albrecht
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Albrechtmehl,

For your document, you would need to first run OCR, with our new Enhanced OCR plugin enabled.
To enable and use the plugin, please follow the steps below (or see this article):

1. Open the Editor and click File > preferences (or press Ctrl+K)
2. Locate the OCR category, and use the dropdown to choose "Enhanced" and click OK:
image.png
3. Once this is in place Restart the application and proceed to the next section.
IF the "enhanced option is greyed out, that means your 30 day trial has passed and your current license does not cover the EOCR plugin. In this case you will need to sign into your user account and add the EOCR plugin to your current license. (if you need help with this process, please email support@pdf-xchange.com directly, as we cannot handle licensing related inquiries on the public forums)

Now that EOCR is enabled, open your document that does not have editable text, then follow the steps below to make it editable.
1. Navigate to the "Convert" tab, and click "OCR pages":
image.png
2. Configure the options as desired, and ensure that "editable text and images" is enabled:
image.png
3. Click OK and wait for the process to finish.
Now that the OCR process is complete, the document should be editable.

Now that the Document is editable, as before, you can use the "Edit > text" function on the home tab to select and begin editing the document. Please see this article for further details: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -documents

I hope this helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Hello Daniel,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it does not bring the desired result.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:26 pm Hello Albrechtmehl,

For your document, you would need to first run OCR, with our new Enhanced OCR plugin enabled.
To enable and use the plugin, please follow the steps below (or see this article):

1. Open the Editor and click File > preferences (or press Ctrl+K)
2. Locate the OCR category, and use the dropdown to choose "Enhanced" and click OK:
image.png
3. Once this is in place Restart the application and proceed to the next section.
IF the "enhanced option is greyed out, that means your 30 day trial has passed and your current license does not cover the EOCR plugin. In this case you will need to sign into your user account and add the EOCR plugin to your current license. (if you need help with this process, please email support@pdf-xchange.com directly, as we cannot handle licensing related inquiries on the public forums)

Now that EOCR is enabled, open your document that does not have editable text, then follow the steps below to make it editable.
1. Navigate to the "Convert" tab, and click "OCR pages":
image.png
2. Configure the options as desired, and ensure that "editable text and images" is enabled:
image.png
3. Click OK and wait for the process to finish.
Now that the OCR process is complete, the document should be editable.

Now that the Document is editable, as before, you can use the "Edit > text" function on the home tab to select and begin editing the document. Please see this article for further details: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -documents

I hope this helps!
I did exactly what you had proposed. But editing using the information from the link given by you gave the following result after having
ocr'ed the file:

1. Start > T > bearbeiten: Text activated, Text als Block bearbeiten activated; Pointer becomes a T, there are boxes surrounding paragraphs
2. Click to the place where the additional text should be placed: blue box, dashed box with points
3. Mouse over central circle becomes four arrows
4. Drawing moves the box, but not its content. This means there is no place for the additonal text.
5. Editing by Text hinzufügen resulted in the text being written over the existing text, not between existing lines.

Please try to insert to any existing pdf two lines size 14 pts, color red and post step by step how you succeded doing it.

Thankful

Albrecht
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Hello AlbrechtMehl!

Please see at https://yadi.sk/i/pQN88p-Q0hQfYA

HTH :-)
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thanks for the video OVG!

Albrechtmehl, does that help?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Vorschlag2019-10-24KoloskVorbereitgUniF.pdf
(855.71 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Hello Ovg,

this almost makes me crazy: it simply does not work with me.
I imagine that I did all the way you did in your video for which I thank you very much
Ovg wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:53 pm Hello AlbrechtMehl!

Please see at https://yadi.sk/i/pQN88p-Q0hQfYA

HTH :-)
Here again what I did:

First: when going to Datei, files > Sprachen/Language and then selecting English, closing the editor and reopening it does not
change from german to english. I wanted to do that in order to have exactly the same envorenment as you. So I did the following with the german edition.

1. Datei > Einstellungen > pdf umwandeln -> optimized pdf > ok
2. editor closing, opening, opening the file
3. umwandeln > gescannte Seiten optimieren : in the opened window everything left as proposed, Ausgabe/output = durchsuchbares
Bild > click on ok
4. recognizing the pages
5. Start > T bearbeiten > bearbeiten: Text and Text als block bearbeiten both active
6. thin boxes around paragraphs, the mouse pointer gets a T
7. click at the point where text should be inserted: blue box with 6 yellow points around paragraphs
8. with the mouse still on that place enter enter enter enter: the blue box gets larger, but the text is not shifted downwards as in
your video.

Please try whether there is something strange with my file which I enclose.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Albrecht
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Hello AlbrechtMehl!

Your file doesn't contain any text - it is an image. You should OCR it first.
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Thank you for your speedy reply
Ovg wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 am Hello AlbrechtMehl!

Your file doesn't contain any text - it is an image. You should OCR it first.
Did I not convert it by 1. to 4. in my previous post? Of course the file you got is still an image, but it was edited, i.e. ocr'ed ...
that is at least what I hope. Can you edit the original file which I have sent using convert and then editing?

Regards,

Albrecht
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Hello AlbrechtMehl!

File from viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33412#p138327 is an image ....

Probably you post wrong version of your file.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Albrech,

As OVG said - your file does not contain text, and only has an image. You will need to OCR it with our Enhanced OCR tool - so that you can remove the image part and convert it to actual text - and then you will be able to make changes to that text.

Regards,
Stefan
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Hello OVG, hello Stefan,

thank you for your answers,
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:41 pm Hello Albrech,

As OVG said - your file does not contain text, and only has an image. You will need to OCR it with our Enhanced OCR tool - so that you can remove the image part and convert it to actual text - and then you will be able to make changes to that text.

Regards,
Stefan
As I have written the file I have sent is the one originating from scanning two pages to pdf-format.

- What is the image you see? Is it this text or some other image, which one?

I repeat a question from my previous post:

- Did I not convert it by 1. to 4. in my previous post? What was my mistake?

What is meant by '1. to 4.' is described point by point in my post from 22. Nov., 12:12pm.

- In case the file is the two pages as an image: could you please start with this 'image file',
convert it to text, and add two lines - see my post Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm - and describe in detail how
you managed doing that, e.g. in a video?

By the way: why could I not change the language of the user interface as I have described?

Regards,

Albrecht
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Hello AlbrechtMehl!

Please look at https://yadi.sk/i/5oIcCxH1OUYnDQ
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Dear Ovg,

thank you for the latest video. BUT I cannot repeat your actions since my user interface looks different from yours. As I have written I got the german version and tried - see my post of Nov. 22, 12:12pm - in vain to change that to the english version so that I would have the same user interface as you. So please tell me what to do in order to get german -> english edition.

By the way: how can I get rid of the advertising in the video viewing program? When trying to delete - x in the upper right corner - there are four boxes which I cannot read as they are in Russian. So which of the boxes is the right to eliminate the particular ad?

With my thanks,

Albrecht
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Hello AlbrechtMehl!

To switch language to English:

Datei->Einstellungen->Sprache

Choose English (US), Built-In, click Übernehmen. Voilà :-)
AlbrechtMehl wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 am how can I get rid of the advertising in the video viewing program?
Sorry, I haven't any idea, my clips doesn't contain any advertising ...

Download clip to you PC and then watch locally