Need to modify a legal Affidavit I'm working on

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MamaBear2015
User

Need to modify a legal Affidavit I'm working on

Post by MamaBear2015 »

I upgraded to PDF-Xchange Editor recently and don't know my way around, with the more advanced functions yet.

I need to modify one page of a legal form, to change some text in it, for what I need for this particular job I'm working on.

First, I opened this document, then I OCR'd the page that I need to make some changes on. But I need to edit and add some text to some of the fields that I just OCR'd, and am struggling to figure that out. I'm not getting it to work.

So I OCR. That gives me selectable text. THEN I need to edit that text and add words to it. Can I do that?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Need to modify a legal Affidavit I'm working on

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

The first thing you need to be sure of is: does it go about 'editable text' or about 'scanned text' in your original PDF-document.
You can verify this by trying to select the text. If this is not possible, then it goes about a page that has been scanned.

1) In case it goes about text that has been scanned.

First, you have to apply OCR to create a text-layer over the scanned text.
This makes that you can select and/or search through the text. At that time, you can not yet "edit" the text.

Editing the text requires one of the next steps.

In case you have V8 of PDF-XChange Editor, then the following Knowledge Base article should help you:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -performed

In case you have V7 of PDF-XChange Editor, then the following Forum article should help you:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30815

2) In case it goes about real text

Just click the "Edit"-icon in the toolbar or ribbon and click "Text".
Text will be shown in text-boxes where you can click into the text and make modifications.

Best regards.
MamaBear2015
User

Post by MamaBear2015 »

I have V7, but that link is really confusing.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) Run the OCR tool:
You can do this via the Document-menu > OCR pages... or via the Convert tab > OCR pages
In the OCR Pages dialog-box, make sure to select the appropriate "Language" and set the "Accuracy" to Medium
Click OK.
Once the OCR process has ended, there will be a "transparent" text-layer upon the scanned image.
This means that the text-layer has been added, but will still be INVISIBLE at that moment.

2) Activate the "Contents" pane and the "Properties" pane
You can do this via the View-menu > Other panes (or via the View-tab > Panes)

3) Select all the 'invisible' text
You can do this via the Content pane - click on the first line with Text and then SHIFT click on the last line with Text

4) Make the selected text visible
While all the text is selected, look into the Properties pane and change the "Fill Color" from 'None' to Black

5) Remove the original scanned text:
Look into the Contents pane, select all what is "Path" and/or "Image" and delete it

All what is left now, is purely 'text'.

For preference - click "Save As" to store this result as a new PDF.

NOTE: In case it still does not work, you can always post your form to this forum, for as long as it does not contain personal info or confidential data.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the help Willy!

MamaBear2015, please follow Willy's advise above, and let us know if that helps!

Regards,
Stefan
MamaBear2015
User

Post by MamaBear2015 »

Thanks guys. I'm swamped today, but I did update from V7 to V8 over the weekend, with your help, and will get further into this ASAP and try it. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi MamaBear2015,

Please do let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
Stefan