Searching words in Searchable PDF's using non-English languages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

elhanan
User

Searching words in Searchable PDF's using non-English languages

Post by elhanan »

Hello there I'm trying pdf Xchange editor, I downloaded OCR Language from the given link in this website. The problem is I already installed the OCR language but pdf Xchange editor is not recognizing the pdf's language. When I select some words and paste it in other places like for example, in "find" input field , it shows symbols not the actual selected word. I attached an Image. Please help
Attachments
xchange.png
(5.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Searching words in Searchable PDF's using non-English languages

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi elhanan,

Thanks for the email - This is usually due to a poor quality image in the document that is being OCR'd. Can you please send a sample document?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
elhanan
User

Post by elhanan »

Actually I scanned the paper with "searchable pdf" option and "300" resolution. I don't think the problem is related to image quality, first of all I scanned to Searchible PDF format, next English words work fine, only my language doesn't work. I think I've missed some configuration in xchange-editor settings since am new to the software.

I've downloaded "Afrikaans" OCR language set from setting, but still doesn't work.
Attachments
xchange.zip
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello elhanan,

It seems like you attached the wrong file. Could you please provide a sample PDF file in which we can see the issue?

Also, please do send us a screenshot of your OCR settings.

If the file is confidential, please do not post it on the forum. Instead, send it to us via e-mail at support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum topic.

Regards,
Radi
elhanan
User

Post by elhanan »

Ok Here is the attached pic of my OCR Setting, since am using Amharic Language I have downloaded Afrikaans OCR language pack from the downloads. And I send the PDF through the email you provided since I didn't want to show it publicly.

Thank you so much for your help, and if the issue fixed I will use the software since it is the only software that seems to support my language.
Attachments
OCR setting.zip
(736.1 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello elhanan,

Thanks for the e-mail and the settings here.
The problem is that Afrikaans is an Indo-European language (with 90-ish percent Dutch origin) written with the Latin Alphabet, while Amharic appears to be a semitic language - and the alphabets used are quite different, so it is not unexpected that trying to use the Afrikaans language pack does not produce the desired results in your document, and I am afraid that we do not seem to have your language available in our OCR tool!

Regards,
Stefan
elhanan
User

Post by elhanan »

:( :( Ok then but why did you added the word Amharic in Afrikaans OCR language pack?? Anyways thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Elhanan,

Apologies - but I am not sure I fully understand where that is listed! Can you please e.g. share a screenshot where Amharic is listed in the Afrikaans language pack?

Thanks,
Stefan