set "Split View" as default

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

set "Split View" as default

Post by David.P »

Hi Forum,

is there any way to configure PDF-XChange Editor such that files are opened in (Horizontal) Split View by default?

Thanks already for any ideas (or possible hacks) how to do this!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: set "Split View" as default

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello David,

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to set split view as a default for a document, or for the application. I have created the feature request:
RT#4934: Spit view "default" option
As usual, I cannot promise its implementation, but you can ask any member of our support team for a status update as time goes on.

Kind Regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Daniel, for registering this as a feature request.

Just for information, the background for this feature request is as follows.

It happens increasingly to me that I recommend PDF-XChange Editor to colleagues or other contacts.

Not infrequently I also share my personal settings file which contain a very space saving UI customization, as shown in the screenshot below.

Since working on PDF documents in Split-View mode is the standard case for me 99% of the time (because you can work on two different text passages at the same time, and it's also very easy to create hyperlinks within the document), I would like to make it especially easy for my contacts to instantly discover Split-View mode when opening a document for the first time.

Therefore, it would be great if it also could be included in one's settings that documents are opened in Split-View mode by default, so as not having to explain to addressees how to set up Split-View mode.

Thank you again,

David
--
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello David,

That is an excellent point, I would assume that the Developers would include the option in settings exports without me saying it, but just incase I have added a note of that to the ticket.

All the best!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thanks very much Daniel!
Best regards
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:D
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all

I just figured, maybe this could already be done using a link in the PDF?

For example, create a text on the first page of a PDF saying "click here for Split View", and add a link under that text containing an "Action" command that starts Split View:

Currently, this command does not seem to be available in the link action command list (as above).

Thus, would it be possible to add the command to this list, as a feature request?

Or would it even work already by adding a JavaScript command to that link instead, such that this JavaScript command activates Split View?

Thanks once more for feedback or ideas on this!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I do not know if it can help...
Mark the check-box "Restore the last used view ..." via Edit (or File) > Preferences > Page Display, below Initial Display.
Click OK to confirm. After that, activate Vertical Split, via the Window-menu > Split.
This "Vertical Split" will last for as long as you do not change it, even after exit and restart PDF-XChange Editor, and for whatever PDF you open.

Best regards.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:22 pm This "Vertical Split" will last for as long as you do not change it, even after exit and restart PDF-XChange Editor, and for whatever PDF you open.
Thanks very much -- the last part however doesn't seem to be the case for me.

No document is opened in split view this way -- not even the ones I had viewed already.

:?:
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

Today I checked with a more recent version 8.0.332.0 (not the latest) of PDF-XChange Editor on another computer and I must admit that, with that version, it does not work anymore. Some fixes since version 7.0.326 (the one that works for me) must have broken the required functionality.

:-(
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Ah! Thanks! Now I also understand why I did have the feeling that in the past, all my files were being opened by default in Split View!

@Tracker Team: hence, this feature request could be changed to please simply restore the previous functionality, namely:

• PDF-XChange Editor should always remember Split View as default for all newly opened documents
    when the last document was viewed in Split View when closing it
Thank you!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

David, I may be partially responsible for this change. Back then I had hoped that at least Standard/Ribbon Layouts could be set in the default settings. Split View is easier to spot and change by placing an icon on the Toolbar. At the time I was reviewing a lot of pdf files and only using Split View intermittently.

With Layouts, the fault is mine I suppose as I invariably forget to change back to Standard before opening another document. I will then have a document in Fit Width zoom (my default), but with the Ribbon Layout. Those 2 settings don't work real well together in my experience.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30477&p=134704&hil ... ew#p134704
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I see Arnold -- it seems that this happened starting from here.

I hope that the developers still can find a way to include one's Split View status in the settings, for the reasons explained above.

Personally, I also wouldn't mind if Split View were persistent (as it used to be).

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello David, Arnold,

Thank you for the extended discussion, I meant to post when I updated the ticket last at your earlier suggestion David, but I seem to have missed doing so, my apologies. As there are a few avenues we could take for this, I have included all the discussed options in the ticket, so that when the dev team begins looking into it, we can have a detailed discussion internally and determine the best course of action.

This could be simply having a new checkbox to "make split view default", it could be including it in the "restore last used" options (possibly per document instead of globally), or it could use another method that the Dev team comes up with.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Based on the previous thread I may very well be beating a dead horse with this request.

Could the ability to choose Standard or Ribbon Layout also be added to the default settings if it is not complicated to do?

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

Ribbon/standard page layout is already included in settings exports, and is remembered globally when selected. Simply toggle the desired option on in the View tab, and away you go!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com