Dealing with Layers...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Dealing with Layers...

Post by Puffolino »

I made some scripts for students, but want to add some "hidden" information for instructors (me) containing solutions etc.
So I tried to manage layers, but failed.

When adding a layer, there's an option to "transfer" content and comments to this layer. I believe, only comments are brought to the new layer (but no other objects). Is this correct? Any chance to move standard objects to other layers or to see which objects are in certain layers?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Dealing with Layers...

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Puffolino,

That is correct, currently only comments, form fields, and some other non-base content can be brought to layers, other content, such as base text cannot. I am unsure of our future plans for these items, however I would not be surprised to hear if they are coming in the future.

For now, you can see what layer a comment is on in the properties pane, and also change its layer there, while the comment is selected of course.

I should note that while layers are a great feature, not all PDF handlers know how to use them (even we only just brought this feature into the fold). In this case it is likely that all content on all layers will be visible (Exposing your solutions and answer keys to the students!). For this kind of situation, where you need to share these notes with other teachers, I would suggest instead using the "import/export Comments" functions (from the comment tab). This will allow you to create a small file that you can share, and the others will only need to import it to view it. securing a good method to share the information, and ensuring the students don't "accidentally" cheat.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Thanks for clarification, was hoping that standard content could be handled as well (when using the german language in the UI the dialog text contains also thw word for "content").
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

Sorry for that, It is not technically wrong in context, as comments are defined as content, they are just not Base-content. As mentioned before, it may come in a future update, but I cannot make any guarantees at this time.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Eric Laurin
User

Post by Eric Laurin »

Hi,

I'm using PDF-XChange Editor version 6.0 (build 321.0) and I was wondering if that "layer" option was included in that version. I can see the LAYERS PANE but the button ADD NEW LAYER is not there. Do I need to upgrade ?

Also, can you tell me which things can I put in the layers with the latest version you have ? I want to know if I can actually put ...

- forms (line, oval, polyline, cloud, arrow, rectangle, polygon)
- text (typewriter, text box, callout)

Again, please tell me which version I need in order to achieve that.

Thanks
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Eric,

Yes, you will need to upgrade to the latest version in order to have this feature.

Only comments can be added in layers.

Regards.
Eric Laurin
User

Post by Eric Laurin »

Any chance we could have forms & text added in layers in a near future update ?

- forms (line, oval, polyline, cloud, arrow, rectangle, polygon)
- text (typewriter, text box, callout)

It would make my life easier. Rather than having 2 different PDF file, I could have only 1 and show & hide some layers depending of what I need.

See the attachements. I cannot merge all of the forms & text on one document as it will be too much and we won't be able to see everything.

Without layers, if I modify so stuff on one document and have to change it on the second one as well which makes it hard to be updated

Your software is AWESOME, it makes everything I need.... except that LAYERS feature :D

Thanks
Attachments
NSC LAYOUT-WAREHOUSE-REV-L --- Motors.pdf
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
NSC LAYOUT-WAREHOUSE-REV-L --- Junction Box + Control Panel.pdf
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Eric,

All of the types of objects you mentioned in your above post are "comments" as far as the PDF specification goes, so they can be moved to or assigned to a given layer.

Please take a look at the attached file - where I have merged your comments from both files - each in it's own layer (turned off by default in my sample).

Is this what you want to achieve?

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
Merged_comments.pdf
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Eric Laurin
User

Post by Eric Laurin »

This is EXACTLY what I needed.

I've noticed that we have 2 commercial license. I'm using PCD Xchange Editor version 6.0 (build 321.0) on my laptop BUT we also have Editor version 7.0 build 326.0.

Could I use the layers with the version 7.0 that we own ?

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Eric,

Unfortunately the ability to manipulate layers was introduced in build 327.0, so while build 326.0 may be able to display existing layers, you will not be able to manually show/hide or change any settings related to them in that version.

As Dimitar said earlier, in order to make full use of the current functions, it is advised that you be running the current latest build of the Editor (currently Version 8 build 333.0).
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all,

I believe that the "Layers" functionality has tremendous potential, particularly with respect to switching the visibility of entire sets of comments on and off. I'd like to elaborate on this, in connection with the collaboration thread, hopefully soon.

For the time being, is it already possible to select a number of comments and move (or copy) them to another layer?

Thank you
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello David,

Unfortunately, at the moment it is not possible to move or copy comments between layers, it is only possible to create new layers which include the currently selected comments. Indeed the feature has tremendous potential, but it is still early in its lifetime, and unlike some functions that are mostly independent, each new function added to this has the chance of breaking a few dozen other aspects of the software, simply because it is working with the core aspects of document creation. As such we are developing this particular feature more delicately than usual, and it should be expected that a longer wait is in order before it offers such powerful functions.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Daniel,

I'm already excited to see how this feature will evolve.

Best regards
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello David,

It seems I was mistaken in my previous post, my colleagues just pointed out to me that we recently allowed moving between layers for comments specifically (base content cannot be handled this way yet though).
To do this, select any comment (or group of comments) in a document with layers, then open the properties pane (Ctrl+`) and use the "layer" dropdownchange which layer it is on:
image.png
Just goes to show that some things sneak in under the radar.

Enjoy!

Support@pdf-xchange.com