Forms: dropdown lists - multiple line items

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

claude vidal
User

Forms: dropdown lists - multiple line items

Post by claude vidal »

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, my search did not reveal any posts.

Using Editor Plus 8.0.332.0.

My objective is to allow a user to select an address from a Form dropdown list and would like the address formatted as follows:
123 Main street
My city, QC
Postal code

I guess I'm looking for the equivalent of the 'multiline' attribute of text fields.

I tried to paste text that had an embedded newline, but PDFXchange strips anything after the newline, including the newline character.

Am I missing something, or is this simply not possible?

I know I could have a work around using javascript, but I like things simple. :wink:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Forms: dropdown lists - multiple line items

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Claude,

Unfortunately Multiline is not currently a valid option for dropdown boxes, and to my knowledge it is not always supported even when done via JS. As such, while it may be possible to force it to display like this in the Editor, I am unsure if that is a good choice as many readers could misinterpret or simply ignore the JS entirely.

My suggestion would be to either have 3 dropdown boxes, or have a single dropdown, with 2 locked auto-filled text fields below it, allowing you to select one value, and have the other two appear in the fields below it.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the response. When you mention "auto-filled text fields below it", would this be a 'mouse up' custom action to set the other fields?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Claude,

A mouse up may work, another option would be to set Value Calculation for the text fields, and then fill them with a custom JS based on the dropdown boxes selection and other fields. (I assume that based on your example with addresses, you may sometimes want to use data that exists in other fillable fields for this selection)
Please see this article for more details on creating fillable forms.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com