Editing internal links in PDF file

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sgspecker
User

Editing internal links in PDF file

Post by sgspecker »

I have a lot of links in a PDF that need to be modified. The links pointed between documents, but are not working when combined together with PDF-EXChange Editor. (Adobe's software didn't do any better.)

But, editing the links was much easier with Adobe's software. I'm wondering if I'm missing something because it appears to be very painful to do this with PDF-XChange. Rather than just setting a new target location for the link, it appears you have to (1) Delete the previous action, (2) create a new one, (3) and find the link-to location using a rather featureless dialog.

This problem is "sort-of" documented in another forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=10628. At first, I thought this thread might be the answer to the problem, but it appears that the "easy" way to set the destination for an internal link only works when "creating" a new link, but not when "editing" a current link. (It would be great if someone could tell me I'm wrong on this.)

I'm actually surprised that the editor does not do a better job fixing links when exporting Word documents and combining them, but I guess that's fodder for another thread.

Take Care,
Scott
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Editing internal links in PDF file

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Scott,

Have you tried to use the Links pane and/or the Link tool to modify the existing links instead of re-creating them?

You can find the Link pane from View -> Panes -> Links and the Link tool in Home -> Create Link.

If the above do not work for you, please provide a sample PDF document so we can check your links on our end.

If the document contains confidential or personal information, please do not post it on the forum, instead e-mail it to us at support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum topic.

Regards,
Radi
sgspecker
User

Post by sgspecker »

From what I can tell, the Links pane does not provide me with an easy way to modify a link's destination. a nice listing of the document's links, but doesn't help me modify them.

I'll send you the document, as you requested.

Thanks,
Scott
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Scott,

I've just replied to your e-mail. Let's continue the conversation there.

Regards,
Radi
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi all,

+1 for this feature request. It would be great, and probably not even that difficult to implement, if in the links pane, when right clicking on a link, you could simply choose "Set Destination", in exactly the same way this is already possible for bookmarks:

When doing this, the link destination simply would be changed to point to the currently visible page (or part of a page).

At the same time, a second context menu entry could be added to the links in the links pane saying "Change Destination". If this menu entry would be selected, the normal "Browse for Link Target" dialog would be invoked:

Thank you
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
sgspecker
User

Post by sgspecker »

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. This is why I referred to your excellent description in my first post. The need is very similar to what you're describing.

Thanks for chiming in!

Take Care,
Scott
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David, Scott,

Thanks for adding your voices here.
Seems like ticket 995 (form David's topic related to this) has been merged into
#2742: FR: Links wishlist
So I will include this topic in the above ticket, and raise it's priority!

Regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Stefan for adding this to the ticket.
Keep up the great work!
Regards
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

You are welcome David!

Cheers,