Open Files Dialog

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Open Files Dialog

Post by Arnold »

I have the Open Files dialog box set to open centered on screen when I click the icon on the upper left. If I use the Combine Files feature to add files, I end up with essentially the same Open Files dialog box with a different initial display setting. However the dialog box is not centered in this instance.

If I go back and click the icon to open the regular Open Files dialog again, it is also now no longer centered. It is now in the upper left corner of the screen. Happens consistently. No apparent way to have the dialog box open centered in both instances.

Is this something that happens only on my computer? If so, is there a way to change this?

Windows 7, sp2, PDFX build 333.0.

Everything works fine, but it is distracting. Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Open Files Dialog

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

as I understand it, the location of these boxes gets stored in the Registry. It certainly does remember the location of the dialogue boxes for me. Both the "Open" and "Combine" boxes are centered for me.

Note that the Editor does not write it's settings to the registry until program close. First time I used "Open" it was top left. I re-positioned it, used it to open a document and did the same for the "Combine Files into a Single PDF", centered it, used it. then closed the Editor.
After that both open centered on my screen.

Can you confirm that, even after use in the desired location AND closing the Editor to trigger a write to the registry, that you still see the dialogues open in the wrong location?

Closing the Editor to force writing to the registry is key here.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Just tried it again. Dragged regular Open Files dialog box to the center, opened a file and closed the program. On re-open of the program it is still centered just fine. But the minute I use Combine Files -> Add Files not only is it not centered, but the other one is now top left and no longer centered.

I don't even have to actually add a file using the Combine Files box and it still changes the location of the other one. Happens every time. So it seems I can have one centered but not both. Opening or centering the one used to add files to combine them changes the other one.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Did some more snooping around. The Open Files dialog opens centered horizontally but not vertically, not only with the previously mentioned Combine Files feature, but also with New Documents from Text Files, Image Files & Rich Text Files. There may be more, but those are the ones I noticed.

The Open Files dialog box with those 4 opens approximately 2 inches down from center. Sometimes after a few seconds it takes a small jump upward of several millimeters. Does not happen with New Document from CSV Files as that feature bypasses the intermediate dialog box required to get to Open Files of the 4 features mentioned above.

When using those 4 features, the default regular Open Files dialog box as well as the ones for Import Settings and the From CSV files are immediately reset to open top left instead of centered. This happens every time where there is an intermediate dialog box where one must click an Add Files button to then bring up the Open Files dialog. A file does not even need to be opened.

The problem is gone naturally if the default Open File dialog is maximized, as all of the Open Files dialogs in the program are then maximized. I checked to see if the shifting to top left affected Windows Explorer as it looks to be pretty much the same dialog box. It stays centered no matter what. It also is not affected by maximizing the Open Files dialog boxes in PDFX.

I tried it with a portable install with default settings and the same thing happens. Windows 7 Home Premium sp2, PDFX build 333.0.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

we have reproduced the issue here. Thanks mostly to Dan's hard work and your detailed instructions. Thanks for that.

We will investigate and try to fix this.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you very much for looking into this.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

My pleasure Arnold,

for reference this is under ticket RT#4908: Combine files dialogue changes Open Files dialogue screen location.

As usual, internal only etc.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke