Build 332 Document Sanitizer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Build 332 Document Sanitizer

Post by Arnold »

Love the new features and panes. 'Rename Opened Document' is going to be a serious time saver! Tried out the 'Sanitize Document' feature and there seems to be problems. Both files I tried it with really increased in size, while the contents seemed to get fuzzy looking. With the attached paper shredder manual, items at the top right of page 2 were moved around.

Is any of that intended? I expected file sizes would decrease a little. Thanks.
Attachments
Powershred.zip
(3.09 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Build 332 Document Sanitizer

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

It seems like the "Sanitize Document"-feature converts the pages to images (like print as image).
This can not be intended (at my opinion).

For info:
"Sanitize document" can be found in the Protect ribbon or in the Document-menu > Redaction.

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,

Sanitize document is intended to remove any possibly hidden information, such as names and numbers that have been unprofessionally hidden (placing a rectangle comment above them instead of using the redact tool), hence being on the protect tab, instead of the organize tab. When possible we avoid making drastic changes to the document, like in this case, however in situations where there are multiple content items overlapping, the most efficient method is sometimes to resterize the entire page, resulting in that page essentially having been "printed as image".

While it is not entirely intended, it is also not explicitly wrong in this handling. I have forwarded this topic to our Dev team so they can see what can be done to reduce the instances where this will happen. But just to make this clear, the "sanitize document" is not for file size reduction purposes, it is to remove traces of personal information that may be accidentally left over.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Understood. I tried sanitizing this particular file simply because I had just downloaded it, and it was handy. I can't remember what the other file I tried it with was, but I think it's size increased substantially also.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

A size increase may happen from time to time using this tool, we will try to work in ways to minimize the cases where this will happen, but in the cases where the entire page needs to be rasterized and saved as an image, such growth is to be expected.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
netsonicyxf
User

Post by netsonicyxf »

Adobe Acobat also has "delete hidden infomation" feature.
If it's possible, it's better to compare the same feature using both softwares.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello netsoniccyxf,

We offer a few functions that would fit that description, if you mean for document security, removal of information is done with the Redact tool, if you mean for file size savings, this is done with the "Save as optimised" function.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com