jagged edges

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jonb42@gmail.com
User

jagged edges

Post by jonb42@gmail.com »

I've often seen these jagged edges in pdf files viewed with PDF Xchange Editor. They don't show up in Adobe Reader..
For instance
image.png
image.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Another example:
image.png
image.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
As I zoom in the lines become smaller - or maybe they just stay the same size and become eclipsed by the larger size of the content.

I'm running Windows 10, and the latest version of Xchange Editor. This issue has been around since the day I started using Xchange though - a number of years ago. I can attest to the fact that it has followed me across operating systems (Windows 7 and 10) and from computer to computer, and through many upgrades.

These hairy edges don't stop me from enjoying PDF Xchange Editor and I remain a faithful user and evangelist of the software! I'd just like them to be fixed some day!

thanks!
Jon
Attachments
image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: jagged edges

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Jon,

these jagged edges are usually caused by how the content items are created, and can often be resolved by manually setting our "stoke adjust" feature on or off.
This can be done from the Preferences (Ctrl+K) under Page display > rendering:
image.png
I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
jonb42@gmail.com
User

Thanks - I will give this a try. For some reason my notifications aren't working and I never realized I got a response on this until I came to the forum to post a new problem :(

Appreciate your help - Jon
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:D
jonb42@gmail.com
User

Changing the stroke adjust does not seem to have any effect on the jagged edges. I've attached a sample file so you can see what I mean. Thanks!
jagged edges test.pdf
(105.81 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jon,

A colleague from the dev team checked your file and says that the problem is with how the file was originally created.
There are lots of thin clipped path items (instead of simply using line/curve elements with the correct width and/or shape).
The edges of the shapes are covered with smooth curves, so at high zoom levels the jgged edges are not visible, unless you use the content pane.
Here is a screenshot of this higher zoom:
image_2019_09_16T05_34_45_164Z.png
This is however at high zoom, but at lower zoom levels we can see some edges regardless of the stroke adjust setting, even in Adobe's products:
Editor_.png
Adobe_.png
So unfortunately the best solution here is to check if there are any settings in the software which created those files to make it use other types of objects, or even change the tool generating the PDF files if possible!

Regards,
Stefan
jonb42@gmail.com
User

Ok thanks. Unfortunately I get these files from various architects / designers and I have no control over how they make their drawing files. I guess I'm stuck with the hedgehogs for now :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jon,

Sorry to hear those are external files and you have no control over their creation, but unfortunately there is little we can do from our side either!

Regards,
Stefan