gather all highlighted text in one place

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

astro46
User

gather all highlighted text in one place

Post by astro46 »

Is there a way to do this in pdf-Xchange Editor? I am not referring to exporting or printing highlighted text, but see a page(s) of all text highlighted, similar to how may see a list of bookmarks. It is like seeing a summary of important ideas. With ability to click on any one highlight to go directly to the page (like a bookmark) to read context.

I am coming from Android, using a reader called Moon+. It had this feature (highlight, change text color, save), then clicking on bookmark button showed all the highlighted text, in order of saving. Very useful.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: gather all highlighted text in one place

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Should be possible via the Comments pane. You can activate this pane via:
- View > Other panes > Comments (Classic toolbars), or
- View > Panes > Comments (Ribbon User Interface).

In the Comments pane toolbar, you can click the Options... button and then in the menu:
- select "Group by Modification Date",
- only check/mark "Show Text" (if you not like to see the Subjects, Authors, Dates, ...)
- via Show Comments > By type, only check/mark "Highlight".

By clicking one of the highlights in the Comments pane, you can directly jump to the corresponding item in the document.

Maybe this helps?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy! :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

thanks. I have "show text" checked. Still only shows a "T" for each highlighted text in the Comments pane. Doesn't show highlighted text. Doesn't matter if "show text" is checked or not.

I guess it needs a view>panes>highlighted text since it really isn't comments that I am doing, but highlighting.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Astro,

Unfortunately the Highlighter tool does not take in the text it highlights, as a Comment it simply overlays the base content text that you have selected. It is possible to generate a "comment summary" however, due to the fact mentioned before, all highlights would have no content, and simply display the author. This function can be found on the Comment tab:
image.png
This will not create bookmark like links you are looking for however.
We have seen some requests for improvements to the highlight tool, such as allowing it to be used on blank space (with no text, effectively being a transparent rectangle), as well as an option to allow it to take in text as you have suggested here. I cannot speak for when or if either of these items will be implemented at this time, but do know we are aware of the desire to see them implemented.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

I understand that pdfxchange cannot produce what I am looking. However, to help developers understand, here is a pic of the Android Moon+ bookmark page, which I had been using.

Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello astro46,

Thank you for your example.

I will make sure our developers receive it.

Regards.
Zeph
User

Post by Zeph »

I am partially blind, in grad school and am trying to extract highlighted text or in some way compile highlights in my PDF files. This would help me organize the excerpted text I need to use for my research papers.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi All,

Daniel's comment above relates to highlights already present in a file where the text that has been highlighted was not originally copied - then yes - there's no easy way with the Editor to get the text underneath, but if you turn this option on in the Editor:
Highlight_copy.png
Future highlights you place will copy in their "comment" the text that you selected.
And as such after that summarizing comments will produce a copy of the highlighted sections of your text as well.

Regards,
Stefan