More file-access functions?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

More file-access functions?

Post by Peter2 »

Short time ago you added the function "drop file to recyccle bin" - that's fine.

How about other features, like

- "rename current file"
- "enable drag and drop" (from opened file in Editor to Mail or to another folder)

Already possible?
Or a feature for the future?

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: More file-access functions?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the post - Rename current file is coming and should be release within the next build or two, if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding the drag and drop, this can already be done via the Thumbnails Pane (Ctrl + T).

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Hi Will

in Ctrl+T (Preview pane) is just "looks like" I can drag&drop. I select and drag and drop - but there is no result. Neither with single page nor with Ctrl+A all pages.

Screencast: https://autode.sk/2Rssumc
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Peter,

Unfortunately this will only work with some applications. This is because these items are not an actual file yet, and when they are moved, the editor extracts the selected pages, and attempts to save them to the designated location. In the case of outlook, the attachments pane is usually a hidden, locked, temporary file, that only outlook itself has permissions to write to (many applications handle files in this way); Basically this means that outlook is preventing us from actually attaching the file.

The correct way to accomplish this would be to select the desired pages, and drag them to another location, such as the desktop, then once the file has been created there, move the new file into the outlook window.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Hi Daniel

maybe you see it too complicated (or I see it to simple).

I don't want to drag single pages from navigation bar. I want to drag entire files - click on the register (the tab) and drag it somewhere. Like Firefox with multiple websites - drag(drop a tab and it creates a new session with this tab in it. And drag a file to somewhere could be similar.

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Peter,

so if I understand your request you essentially want dragging a tab to not only move the tab into it's own frame, but to also intelligently determine whether to change that behaviour to a "Save As" function or to create an attachment depending on where you drag the tab to?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Hi Paul

I think you defined it correctly. I expected that this would be easier - just like drag&drop from Explorer, but I now tried with different software which uses tabs - Firefox, UltarEdit, XNView, Autocad - and none of them does what I mean. So this seem to be really rather tricky. So lets ignore this suggestion.
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the clarification Peter. Indeed, this is not a simple feature at all and unless there is significant call for it, it's not likely to be implemented.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.