Windows 10 external screen DPI problem

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Daniel1234
User

Windows 10 external screen DPI problem

Post by Daniel1234 »

My computer is set up with a HiDPI internal and lower DPI external screen. On the external screen the Editor seems to not scale according to the DPI: everything is huge, inkludung the title bar. Is there a way to make the Editor aware of the changed DPI?
HiDPI.png
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 external screen DPI problem

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the post - Please go to File --> Preferences and try these options here:
image.png
Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Daniel1234
User

Post by Daniel1234 »

Great, seems to work like a charm. I am curious why this wasn't set by default.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Daniel,

Glad that did it! The reason that this is default is so that we can just, by default, use the DPI specified by Windows itself and allow Windows to handling the scaling. It doesn't always scale, so we've instead added the options to allow users to choose depending on what they need, as and when they need it.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Daniel1234
User

Post by Daniel1234 »

Hi Will,

Maybe I am confused, but it seems to me that the option "System Scale" is the one that does the job automatically. However, the default (at least I cannot remember ever changing it) was "No Scale (System DPI)". Could it be that the option "System Scale" was later introduced and only set by default on freshly installed versions but not on updated ones?

Best,
Daniel
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Daniel,

Not quite, as Will said above the default is indeed the No Scale option. This is because in many cases windows handles scaring quite well for most applications. While system scale certainly fixes some issues with high resolution displays, it can cause other issues with very low resolutions, as such we have no intentions of changing this currently.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Daniel1234
User

Post by Daniel1234 »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 pm Hello Daniel,

Not quite, as Will said above the default is indeed the No Scale option. This is because in many cases windows handles scaring quite well for most applications. While system scale certainly fixes some issues with high resolution displays, it can cause other issues with very low resolutions, as such we have no intentions of changing this currently.

Kind regards,
Hello Daniel,

Well, it did not work for me using Windows 10 1810 as well as 1903 on a Surface Pro 4. I would have thought if there is any standard conform setup, it should be that one. But maybe the HiDPI device is not the standard device you focus on supporting?

Also, the help page on the topic is a bit brief and might be worth expanding given the problems this causes:

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... al_ed.html

Kind regards,
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Daniel,

We can pass a suggestion to the dev. team to change the defaults, but cannot promise anything given the current programmatic logic behind it.

I've passed that to our manual writers to see if we can expand a little, but a full explanation of what DPI scaling is and why it's necessary is beyond the scope of our manuals.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)