Thunderbird does not open

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

colion
User

Thunderbird does not open

Post by colion »

I updated to version 8, build 331. Everything appears to be OK except when I send email a generic email form opens and not Thunderbird. Thunderbird is the default Windows 10 app and under "Send Mail Options" it is listed as the current method with the title "Mail Client". I reinstalled version 8, build 331 with the same results. Would appreciate any suggestions for getting Thunderbird back as the default email program.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird does not open

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Colion,

Are you using the "Send by mail" button in the upper left of the Editor, or a "mailTo: button within a form document to initiate this mail procedure?

Beyond that, can I ask you to open the "Send mail" dropdown, and take a screenshot of what is visible there, like I have done here:
image.png
As you can see, Thunderbird is bold to indicate that it is the default client, does yours look similar?

Finally, Could I ask you to try using the mail functions in other applications (such as MS word, or paint), and let me know if you experience any similar troubles?
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
colion
User

Post by colion »

Thanks Daniel. Everything in your note was OK. I finally fixed the problem by reinstalling Thunderbird and letting it tell Windows that it was the default. I suppose something got corrupted and the reinstall fixed it.

Edit - One other thing. Thunderbird was properly shown as the default program in Windows settings so its reinstallation did something else (to the registry?).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Colion,

We require the app to be set as the default MAPI client, so it's possible that this specifically wasn't set. Re-installing likely set all possible defaults.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
colion
User

Post by colion »

Hello Daniel,

As noted in my original comment, Thunderbird was set as the default app. I think something went wrong (registry?) when installing version 8 build 331 as everything was OK until then. Even when things did not work right Thunderbird was shown as the default app under Windows settings.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Colion,

There are several different types of default for an email client, within Windows, and when it is shown as default in the Windows Control Panel, it's not necessarily the default MAPI handler.

The Registry is really just a database for application & operating system settings (a slight oversimplification, but essentially accurate).

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com