Printing MS Office docs to PDF with comments incorporated into the PDF file

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jcaiken
User

Printing MS Office docs to PDF with comments incorporated into the PDF file

Post by jcaiken »

I find the MS comments almost unusable when compared to the PDF-X system.
Is there any way to print my Word and Excel files to PDF that will incorporate the original comments as PDF comments?
If not then can I suggest that this feature be added into the PDF-X Lite driver and/or Office addin?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printing MS Office docs to PDF with comments incorporated into the PDF file

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi jcaiken,

Thanks for the post - We're looking into this possibility now, but we're not sure that it's possible as Word comments are quite strange and do not map very well (if at all) to PDF annotations. Given that, we can't make any promises at this time.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Amrr
User

Post by Amrr »

I am checking if such feature is still under consideration, as it will be really cool. It is currently in other pdf editors so I assume it is possible.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Amrr

Unfortunately the issues that Will mentioned before are quite real,, Word comments, in nearly all cases, simply are not stored in a way that they can easily be translated to PDF. The only item we can reliably convert as a "comment" is links, which ironically are not a type of comment in Word, though they are in PDF.

It is still something that we look back at periodically and may dig deeper into in the future, but for now, it is a "Stalled" project, and not one in active development. Perhaps in a few years, if Word has changed its format drastically again, as seems to happen once every decade or so, perhaps then they will be more malleable and PDF friendly items.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com