Annotations having rectangular frame

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

cfessler
User

Annotations having rectangular frame

Post by cfessler »

Hello dear forum

sorry for my english at first.

Now my point: I think in former Versions of PDF-Xchange the annotations did not have that rectangular frame you can here .
frame.jpg
Is there a way to deactivate it?

Thank you so much
Christoph
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Annotations having rectangular frame

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello cfessler,

I vaguely recall these bounding not being present in the pas as well, however when going back to every build I have installed, as far back as 6.0.322.7, i was unable to find any versions of our software that did not present this bounding box. Unfortunately, I cannot find a version where we have offered such, and there is no current option for changing the display of bounding boxes. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Hello Daniel,

As you can see I am a PDF-Xchange user for a long time :)

Would you take the possibility to change the appearance of those Boundary Boxes on the feature request list?

Thanks for now :-)
Kind regards
Christoph
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Cfessler,

I can certainly make a note of it for when we are next considering visual improvements, however I am unable to provide any guarantees about its implementation at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 pm I am unable to provide any guarantees about its implementation at this time.
I am fine with that! Thanky you anyway!
Kind regards
Christoph
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

see following post
Last edited by cfessler on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 pm Hello Cfessler,

I can certainly make a note of it for when we are next considering visual improvements, however I am unable to provide any guarantees about its implementation at this time.

Kind regards,
As those boundary boxes become really annoying :x in my actual project I kindly wanted to ask if there might be another way to change their appearance?!?
Or maybe this point found a way to the to do list of the developers?!? Is there any progress on that?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi cfessler,

can you tell me, with your project, if the issue with the bounding boxes is related the way they influence what/how multiple annotations are selected? We are working on improving that and there is a ticket in the system. Specifically it relates to:
multiple selection for both annotations and base content should be tested by the shape exactly, not just the bounding boxes of the objects.
What is at the root of this request? We do not have other similar requests and to be honest it is not clear to me what suppressing the bounding boxes will help achieve. Is it simply that having multiple annotations selected along with their bounding boxes gets too busy for the eyes, or is there a functional issue you need to resolve by not showing these bounding boxes?

The main reason I ask is that this particular request does not seem to have gained any traction and we would likely need to see benefit to many users to make this something we want to do.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:26 pm Hi cfessler,

can you tell me, with your project, if the issue with the bounding boxes is related the way they influence what/how multiple annotations are selected? We are working on improving that and there is a ticket in the system. Specifically it relates to:
multiple selection for both annotations and base content should be tested by the shape exactly, not just the bounding boxes of the objects.
What is at the root of this request? We do not have other similar requests and to be honest it is not clear to me what suppressing the bounding boxes will help achieve. Is it simply that having multiple annotations selected along with their bounding boxes gets too busy for the eyes, or is there a functional issue you need to resolve by not showing these bounding boxes?

The main reason I ask is that this particular request does not seem to have gained any traction and we would likely need to see benefit to many users to make this something we want to do.
Dear Paul,
first of all I am very pleased that you are taking so much effort and listen to your customers. I really appreciate that!

To speak of the specific problem: I am kind of misusing the software for semi planning purposes. And so i do with the annotations. for example lets say I use a polygon to mark a specific area of the document (e.g. map). Then I place some objects in that area.
annotations
annotations

now it comes that I have to select those (e.g. circular) annotations. As you can see it will also select the large object with the big rectangular boundary box.
selection2
selection2
And i remember many years before there were no such rectangular boundary boxes around the objects. That is what i am hoping for to get back :-)

I hope i could clearly describe my problem?!?

Kind regards
Christoph
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello cfessler,

It is true that in the Viewer we didn't have such bounding boxes - but that was because you could not select more than one annotation at the same time, nor e.g. rotate it.
The Editor introduced new tools and features - you can now multi select more than one annotation, and can then rotate the selection.
So you need to see the bounding box and it's center to see what the point of rotation will be, and the green 'pin' at the top allows you to start rotating with the mouse directly.

Unfortunately I do not think we can hide the bounding box and still provide the rotation tools - so I do not think your request will ever be possible in the Editor.

Regards,
Stefan
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:26 pm Hi cfessler,

Dear Paul
I can confirm it is the thing i was referring to :-)

Kind regards
Christoph
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:40 am Hello cfessler,

It is true that in the Viewer we didn't have such bounding boxes - but that was because you could not select more than one annotation at the same time, nor e.g. rotate it.
The Editor introduced new tools and features - you can now multi select more than one annotation, and can then rotate the selection.
So you need to see the bounding box and it's center to see what the point of rotation will be, and the green 'pin' at the top allows you to start rotating with the mouse directly.

Unfortunately I do not think we can hide the bounding box and still provide the rotation tools - so I do not think your request will ever be possible in the Editor.

Regards,
Stefan
Hello Stefan

well I get that point. I just remembered there was no boxes. But i do not remember not to be able to select multiple items. But that is possible!

So maybe there will be a switch in the future or something - would be nice.

For example a solution could be: while selecting the elements the boundaries are solely the elements itself. When they are selected the rectangular boundary box reappears.

Thank you anyway! :-)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the suggestions - we'll certainly take them into consideration! :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

To echo Will, thanks for the clarification.

Indeed I think you will find the improvements in the ticket RT#4381: Feature Request :: Editor :: Accurate multiple object selection. are going to help with your situation.

Lets see what that brings, I have added a link to this discussion to the ticket so, as Will said, we will be taking this into consideration.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello

Does it help for Christoph to know that you can:

1) select random comments on a page by using the CTRL-key while clicking ?

2) activate the Comments pane and then select (for example) only the Oval comments and NOT the Polygon Line ?

Best regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - only select Oval comments.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the help Willy!

That might be helpful Indeed!

Cheers,
Stefan
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 pm Hello

Does it help for Christoph to know that you can:

1) select random comments on a page by using the CTRL-key while clicking ?

2) activate the Comments pane and then select (for example) only the Oval comments and NOT the Polygon Line ?

Best regards.
Hi Willy,
thanks you for those suggestions! To be honest the at present 1) is the thing I am doing right now. But it is really hard to click 100 annotations. And as you know if I miss the 99th annotation i have to do it again...

So i hope for a solution for RT#4381 :-)

Kind regards
Christoph
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm To echo Will, thanks for the clarification.

Indeed I think you will find the improvements in the ticket RT#4381: Feature Request :: Editor :: Accurate multiple object selection. are going to help with your situation.

Lets see what that brings, I have added a link to this discussion to the ticket so, as Will said, we will be taking this into consideration.

I hope that helps.
Thank you :-) I will watch RT#4381 ;-)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:D